The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Question

Is the American definition of the word "international" different to my understanding of it?

To me, "international" means many countries, if not the entire world then at least a majority of countries.

If my definition is correct, how is it that the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials only seems to have associations/boards in two countries (USA & Canada).

I for one would love to be a member of an International referees association, does anyone know of such a body which is truely international?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Since IAABO is in the U.S. and Canada, that makes it "international". To me, this is the same as FIBA where I believe the "I" means international. To the best of my knowledge (sometimes very limited), we generally do not have FIBA in the U.S.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 07:25am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

international 1: affecting or involving two or more nations, 2. of, relating to, or constituting a group or association having members in two or more nations.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Actually, IAABO does have members all over the world. Many of these officials are stationed overseas in the military, and I counted 11 countries other than the US where there were local boards of organization.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Is the American definition of the word "international" different to my understanding of it?

To me, "international" means many countries, if not the entire world then at least a majority of countries.

If my definition is correct, how is it that the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials only seems to have associations/boards in two countries (USA & Canada).

I for one would love to be a member of an International referees association, does anyone know of such a body which is truely international?
As Mark points out IAABO is an international association
since there are members all over the globe. Many members
belong to a local IAABO board, particularly in the eastern
US. You can join IAABO as an individual member.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
To me, "international" means many countries,
To me, "international" means "un-American." OOPS! My anti-Euro bias is showing again. BTW - I don't consider Australia part of Europe. Any country that can produce a cool guy like Mel Gibson is OK in my book.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

International Foul!

What is the correct mechanics to indicate an "International" Foul?

Can an International" Foul be called as a FLAG-erant Foul?
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Angry International Affiliation

The Olypics and all true international championships are officiated under FIBA rules. If you wish to participate in those types of truly international events then you must become a FIBA carded official representing your country. It is very difficult to do in most countries.
Pistol
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: International Foul!

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Can an International" Foul be called as a FLAG-erant Foul?
Great call, ref!!
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
To me, "international" means many countries,
To me, "international" means "un-American." OOPS! My anti-Euro bias is showing again. BTW - I don't consider Australia part of Europe. Any country that can produce a cool guy like Mel Gibson is OK in my book.
Any country that can produce a cool guy like Mark Padgett is okay with me
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 01:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker

Aw, flattery will get you anywhere. BTW - what's up with spelling a bunch of words with the "...our" ending, such as colour, flavour and humour? Don't you know that's just a holdover from French? I thought they only still did that in parts of Canadour.

Also BTW - since you guys are all "down under" under there, when you throw the ball up to start the game, how does it come down?
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Aw, flattery will get you anywhere. BTW - what's up with spelling a bunch of words with the "...our" ending, such as colour, flavour and humour? Don't you know that's just a holdover from French? I thought they only still did that in parts of Canadour.

Also BTW - since you guys are all "down under" under there, when you throw the ball up to start the game, how does it come down?
When I attended High School with Pythagoras this was the Queens English and old habits are hard to break. Although now I must remember to use your budget english when programming.

Well we have jump balls to start every period and still some and mostly we let the players get it on the way up as it is so damm hard to teach them not to.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 07:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Well we have jump balls to start every period and still some and mostly we let the players get it on the way up as it is so damm hard to teach them not to.
No, dude (that's an American saying), that's not what I meant. I thought that since you are upside down in your country, that when you toss the ball for a jump, it just keeps on falling toward the ceiling.

BTW - since the seasons are reversed from what they are here, during what months do you play? Also - what is the time zone difference from where you are (and where, exactly, is that again?) to the Pacific time zone here in the land of Starbucks? I'm just too lazy to figure it out. Do you guys now wear v-neck jerseys like us and are they striped or solid color like our NBA refs? Do you work mostly 2 or 3 man mechanics?

Thanks for the info. I'm always interested in hearing about how officiating is in other (non-Euro, of course) countries.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, dude (that's an American saying), that's not what I meant. I thought that since you are upside down in your country, that when you toss the ball for a jump, it just keeps on falling toward the ceiling.

If that was the case we would be playing the game on the ceiling and tossing the ball towards the floor. I think we got gravity before you!

BTW - since the seasons are reversed from what they are here, during what months do you play?

Generally we play all year round with a break at Christmas for about 4 weeks.
We do not have basketball organised in the High Schools or Colleges as well as you do. Our serious ball is played in local Basketball Associations what I suspect you call Rec Ball but we treat it more seriously.

These local Associations attend various tournaments thru the year. The most important being State Titles. This post may get a little long but I will let you know what I have been up to this year. My main area is now referee education.

1. From October to April I educated and did some games in a regional competition in South East Queensland in a home and away series involving 10 to 15 associations in a radius of 100 klms from Brisbane.

2. At Easter I attended the State U16 Titles as an educator.

3. In June I attended U14 and U12 State Titles.

4. In August I attended the National Schools Championship between teams from each of our States and Territories.

5. In 10 days I will be the Referee Commissioner at the Champion School of Queensland Tournament.

Also - what is the time zone difference from where you are (and where, exactly, is that again?) to the Pacific time zone here in the land of Starbucks?

Pacific Time is 18 hours behind us here. I just finished watching the US Open about 45 Mins ago.
IE: 5pm Sunday your time is 11am Monday our time.

Do you have access to a map showing Australia. I am 80 Klms south of Brisbane on The Gold Coast a tourist destination and home of the Gold Coast Indy Car Race on in a few weeks.

Do you guys now wear v-neck jerseys like us and are they striped or solid color like our NBA refs?

We generally wear black and white stripes with a zip and collar.

Do you work mostly 2 or 3 man mechanics?

FIBA nows allows 3 man but it is only in our very senior competitions NBL & ABA

Thanks for the info. I'm always interested in hearing about how officiating is in other (non-Euro, of course) countries.
I do not think much of Europe from what I have read especially when there was little response when that Player that punched and kicked the referee in Russia (I Believe)basically got off. No respect for the safety of officials from the so called International Body as far as I can see.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 10:00pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Yes, and you're posting on their discussion forum right now

Seriously, Officiating.com has members from Japan, Australia, Israel, Germany, the UK, and many other countries.