Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Sorry to be so late on this, but the local board's interpretor answered this on the board's website, and I thought his answer was informative.
Interesting interpretation.

Can you email him and ask what to do if a team has 9 players on the floor but 10 players in the book at the 10 minute mark?

(This oughta be fun.)
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 04:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Interesting interpretation.

Can you email him and ask what to do if a team has 9 players on the floor but 10 players in the book at the 10 minute mark?

(This oughta be fun.)
Coach: I've got a player having a dump.

OOO: Doesn't matter. That's a "T"!
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I thought the interesting part was the guy saying "the rule is X, answer the question X, then do Y, like we've always done".
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Sorry to be so late on this, but the local board's interpretor answered this on the board's website, and I thought his answer was informative.
Unfortunately, I think that your local interpreter's answer is inaccurate and uninformative. While that is the definition of a team member, the rules do not state WHEN those kids have to be ready to play. Why would anyone interpret it to mean that they have to be ready TEN minutes prior to the scheduled game time? The teams still have ten minutes to warmup and by definition are NOT ready to play at that time. They are still stretching and running drills.
Many teams return to the lockerroom for the last several minutes of this time period. The ENTIRE team leaves. Would this guy say that means that there are no team members present and that this team should forfeit?

Sorry, but your local guy need to rethink this one or pick up the phone and call the NFHS office for clarification.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Unfortunately, I think that your local interpreter's answer is inaccurate and uninformative. While that is the definition of a team member, the rules do not state WHEN those kids have to be ready to play.
Maybe I'm being being too specific, but you're both inaccurate. "Ready to play" is not part of the rule. The rule says that bench personel have to be in uniform and eligible to become a player. You don't have to be ready that minute, you just have to be eligible. Does that make a difference?
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Maybe I'm being being too specific, but you're both inaccurate. "Ready to play" is not part of the rule. The rule says that bench personel have to be in uniform and eligible to become a player. You don't have to be ready that minute, you just have to be eligible. Does that make a difference?
No you are not. That local interpreter is the one being too literal. The problem lies in the lack of a definition from the NFHS of what is in red.