The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control Punch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28833-team-control-punch.html)

refnrev Thu Oct 12, 2006 09:45pm

Team Control Punch

First game tonight. I'm trail and call second foul of game. It was a team control --- holding red #10. Reported the foul and said, Team Control, punched it, siganled hold, etc. Do you always punch with the right arm or punch in the direction of the offending team? What say you other zebras?

truerookie Thu Oct 12, 2006 09:54pm

Direction of offending team.

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2006 09:56pm

According to the 2006-07 NF Pre-Season Guide it does not say you have to point to a particular direction. I think the key is to give the signal. You are not technically giving a direction with the signal. The TC signal is a punch, not a point in a direction from what I have read.

Peace

M&M Guy Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:35pm

I believe Rut's right for Fed. - no specific direction. In NCAA-W, they prefer you "punch" in the direction you will be going next. Iow, say you're L, you would punch straight out from your chest (towards the court). Say you're T, in the right hand front court in front of the table, as your face the floor you would punch with your left arm out to your left (towards the back court). Does that make sense? Unless they come out with a specific instruction, though, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just make sure they see the punch, so they know it's a team control foul.

bigdogrunnin Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:45am

You don't have to signal the "hold," only the TC Foul. IOW, when reporting, the order would be: Color, Number, "Team Control Foul," signal with the TC Punch, designate "spot throw in," and move to administer the throw-in. I believe that is right. Correct? Thanks for any clarification.

Nevadaref Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
You don't have to signal the "hold,"... I believe that is right.

Nope.

Quote:

... Thanks for any clarification.

You're welcome. :D

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:53am

Quote:

You don't have to signal the "hold," only the TC Foul. IOW, when reporting, the order would be: Color, Number, "Team Control Foul," signal with the TC Punch, designate "spot throw in," and move to administer the throw-in. I believe that is right. Correct? Thanks for any clarification.

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=28715

refnrev Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:28pm

I'm pretty sure that I'm sure you have to indicate the nature of the foul.

Raymond Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
I'm pretty sure that I'm sure you have to indicate the nature of the foul.

But do you have to do it both times, at the spot of the foul and when reporting to the table?

refnrev Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:34pm

BNR,
You do with a charge so why not? How will the scorekeeper record it as TCF if you don't? RR

ChuckElias Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:43pm

Quote:

BNR,
You do with a charge so why not? How will the scorekeeper record it as TCF if you don't? RR

Rev, BNR is asking if you have to give the punch signal AND the push signal at the table. I would say no. Give the punch to let everybody know you're not shooting FTs and that's it.

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:58pm

Quote:

First game tonight. I'm trail and call second foul of game. It was a team control --- holding red #10. Reported the foul and said, Team Control, punched it, siganled hold, etc. Do you always punch with the right arm or punch in the direction of the offending team? What say you other zebras?

From the 2005-2007 FNHS Officials Manual:

Page 36, Paragraph 230, (e)

"If a team-control foul, point in the direction of the throw-in teams basket."

I would assume the same applies to the puch.

Nevadaref Fri Oct 13, 2006 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
From the 2005-2007 FNHS Officials Manual:

Page 36, Paragraph 230, (e)

"If a team-control foul, point in the direction of the throw-in teams basket."

I would assume the same applies to the puch.

That's not a good assumption. Those words were written and that manual was printed when the fist punch wasn't even an NFHS signal.

BTW keep the dog off the court. You don't want him pissing on your shoes! :p

Or is this an example of using Padgett's advice for a coach's shoes. :D

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That's not a good assumption. Those words were written and that manual was printed when the fist punch wasn't even an NFHS signal.

BTW keep the dog off the court. You don't want him pissing on your shoes! :p

Or is this an example of using Padgett's advice for a coach's shoes. :D

Why not? Didn't the PUNCH replace the Point?

IREFU2 Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Fist, Punch, Nature of Foul, Throw-in spot.

Does that apply to the table reporting, on-the-spot preliminary, or both?

You got most of that right. At the table you do color, number, state the nature of the foul.