The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   running up court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28784-running-up-court.html)

deecee Tue Oct 10, 2006 05:39pm

running up court

I don't know if this was bought up before but I could not find an answer.

I was curious -- sometimes when I run up court i have my arms bent at a 90degree angle and when the game is a blowout i run up more with a 45degree bend. I know this is wrong because one should always run with 90degree angle no matter what the score is but there is no advantage/disadvantage gained.

I couldn't find any ruling from the NFHS regarding this but it appears that in NCAA-W its 90degree on a fast break but 45degree on normal transition whereas with the mens its 90degree only during inbouds after a timeout that was called before a technical was issued and 45degree all other times.

What do you do and think regarding this and I really hope the FED addresses this soon before we have a social meltdown and if you could back it up with case studies I would appreciate it. :p

Back In The Saddle Tue Oct 10, 2006 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee

I was curious -- sometimes when I run up court i have my arms bent at a 90degree angle and when the game is a blowout i run up more with a 45degree bend. I know this is wrong because one should always run with 90degree angle no matter what the score is but there is no advantage/disadvantage gained.

I couldn't find any ruling from the NFHS regarding this but it appears that in NCAA-W its 90degree on a fast break but 45degree on normal transition whereas with the mens its 90degree only during inbouds after a timeout that was called before a technical was issued and 45degree all other times.

What do you do and think regarding this and I really hope the FED addresses this soon before we have a social meltdown and if you could back it up with case studies I would appreciate it. :p

As with most aspects of the game, apply advantage/disadvantage. If your assigner were to see you, would it be more to your advantage to have a 90 degree bend or a 45 degree bend? ;)

Kajun Ref N Texas Tue Oct 10, 2006 06:01pm

Quote:

What is the Board #6 approved method:o

BktBallRef Tue Oct 10, 2006 06:23pm

Quote:

WTF are you talkin' about? :eek:

mick Tue Oct 10, 2006 06:40pm

Should be pre-gamed.

26 Year Gap Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:17pm

:confused: We're supposed to watch our arms when we run? THAT wasn't in class! NoFair! No Fair!:mad:

zebraman Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:39pm

This is a regional thing. :)

Dan_ref Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:40pm

I prefer the post-game 20 oz Guinness myself, but whatever.

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:46pm

Quote:

I was curious -- sometimes when I run up court i have my arms bent at a 90degree angle and when the game is a blowout i run up more with a 45degree bend.

I'm curious too. How do you <b>bend</b> your arm at a 90 degree angle?

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I prefer the post-game 20 oz Guinness myself, but whatever.

At what angle do you have to bend your arm in order to be able to suck that mother back? 135 degrees? 288 degrees?

deecee Tue Oct 10, 2006 09:18pm

90degree angle would be a right angle just to refresh -- that is when 2 lines intersect perpendicular at their end points.

think of madonnas cone bra -- that might not illustrate what i am trying to explain but think of it anyway...

alright -- an L forms a right angle -- weather or not it is right side up or upside down -- so make an L with your arms -- yes, yes go ahead --- umm a bit more -- there you have it. Now pump frantically like Shaq is about to run into you and you are trying to get away. Ok JR maybe I can excuse you from this excercise (sp?).

ChuckElias Tue Oct 10, 2006 09:35pm

Quote:

that is when 2 lines intersect perpendicular at their end points.

Um, lines don't have end points, do they? Line segments, maybe? Rays, even.

Quote:

think of madonnas cone bra
Ooooo, very nice 20 year old reference. Very hip. Maybe it's hip to be square. :)
Oh, how I loved Huey Lewis and the News.

Quote:

weather or not it is right side up or upside down
Weather or not? I'm pretty sure there's some kind of weather. Juulie's got rain; Mick's probably getting snow soon; and we're due for our first frost any morning now.

Jeez, when does the season start?!?!?!

rainmaker Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Um, lines don't have end points, do they? Line segments, maybe? Rays, even.

Ooooo, very nice 20 year old reference. Very hip. Maybe it's hip to be square. :)
Oh, how I loved Huey Lewis and the News.

Weather or not? I'm pretty sure there's some kind of weather. Juulie's got rain; Mick's probably getting snow soon; and we're due for our first frost any morning now.

Jeez, when does the season start?!?!?!

Actually, this week we''ve got low 70's and sunshine. Not bad for the second week of October! Although, I'll be glad when the clouds finally set in.

But I think DeeCee needs to get into rehab quick for whatever he's smoking. It's gonna really screw up his season if he doesnt.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 11, 2006 02:09am

Quote:

Be careful, even if the FED does address it, as soon as it is no longer printed verbatim in the most recent edition of the rule book, what ever ruling the FED provides will no longer be valid. Even in absence of a retraction or superceding rule.

mick Wed Oct 11, 2006 05:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Mick's probably getting snow soon; and we're due for our first frost any morning now.

YU.P.; severe weather warning.
Today through Friday.
U.P. to 24"
Winds off Lake Superior 20-30 from the NW; Gusts to 50.