The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Trivia Question/Simplified & Illustrated

Trivia or Trivial Question:

In the Current 2006-07 NFHS Simplified & Illustrated book...somewhere, there is an illustration of an official giving a signal that is not illustrated anywhere in the signal chart.

* Tell me, if you can, what signal I am talking about.

* Secondly, if you find the official that is using this "signal"...do you use this signal in your games?
Richland, WA
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Hmmm, I do not have this book. However, I will take a shot at if it. The only thing that comes to mind is the use of the closely guarded signal by opening your arms (like a double foul, except, not closed fists).
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have the book. Could you give us a hint?

The only think I can come up with is the "start the clock" signal we give for timeouts and DQ procedures. Is that it?

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

I'll guess the pointing for the flagrant personal foul DQ on page 76.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have the book. Could you give us a hint?

The only think I can come up with is the "start the clock" signal we give for timeouts and DQ procedures. Is that it?

Peace
YOU GOT IT!

In the "cartoon book" it shows the official pointing straight ahead and rotating a finger in a clockwise full circle motion.

I just usually point at the table when I want the TO and DQ clock to start...just thought it was interesting and something I don't remember seeing in the past.

Nevada...page 76 in the new S&I book is not what you describe...that "point" is in last years S&I book...but good thought.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Hmmm, I do not have this book. However, I will take a shot at if it. The only thing that comes to mind is the use of the closely guarded signal by opening your arms (like a double foul, except, not closed fists).
That's a good guess...and a signal I see some officials use from time to time...but, not a NFHS prescribed signal or one I saw in the S&I book.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
YOU GOT IT!

In the "cartoon book" it shows the official pointing straight ahead and rotating a finger in a clockwise full circle motion.

I just usually point at the table when I want the TO and DQ clock to start...just thought it was interesting and something I don't remember seeing in the past.

Nevada...page 76 in the new S&I book is not what you describe...that "point" is in last years S&I book...but good thought.
Why do you have to point at the table for them to start the clock on TO or DQ. Shouldn't it start when you report the TO and notify the coach on the DQ without pointing to the table?
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Why do you have to point at the table for them to start the clock on TO or DQ. Shouldn't it start when you report the TO and notify the coach on the DQ without pointing to the table?
See case book play 2.12.5. The mechanic has the official signaling the timer.

Ol' Rookie Dude ain't a rookie.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Ol' Rookie Dude ain't a rookie.
Thank you.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have my books with me, so I'm not sure if this is case 2.12.5, but the reason I signal the timer to start the clock is the fact the time should not start until both teams are at their benches. There have been many times I report the TO, then look to see players aren't at their bench areas yet. This is especially true if I'm at T in front of the table when I call the TO. So I wait until all the players from both teams are near their bench areas before telling the timer to start the clock with the "sideways swirley" signal.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I don't have my books with me, so I'm not sure if this is case 2.12.5, but the reason I signal the timer to start the clock is the fact the time should not start until both teams are at their benches. There have been many times I report the TO, then look to see players aren't at their bench areas yet. This is especially true if I'm at T in front of the table when I call the TO. So I wait until all the players from both teams are near their bench areas before telling the timer to start the clock with the "sideways swirley" signal.

Thank you.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Thank you.
You're welcome.

I just wish others on this forum were as polite as you.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
"Fact"?

Casebook play 5.8.3SitC- "A1 fouls B2. The scorer notifies the nearest official that this is A1's fifth foul. The official notifies the coach of team A of the disqualification. The official then instructs the timer to begin the 30-second replacement period. The official then notifies A1."

Ain't no mention anywhere about letting the little darlings go to their benches. That's strictly up to the coaches.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I just wish others on this forum were as polite as you.
Shut up....please.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Fact"?

Casebook play 5.8.3SitC- "A1 fouls B2. The scorer notifies the nearest official that this is A1's fifth foul. The official notifies the coach of team A of the disqualification. The official then instructs the timer to begin the 30-second replacement period. The official then notifies A1."

Ain't no mention anywhere about letting the little darlings go to their benches. That's strictly up to the coaches.
Huh??

I was talking about a TO situation, where I don't have the timer start the 30 or 60 second clock until the little darlings are by their benches.

Maybe the confusion is because the cases mentioned have to do with other timing issues. I was just commenting on a TO situation. Either way, the signal should let the timer know to start the dead-ball clock when you want it started, not when they decide to start it.

(Used with permission.)