The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Pretest

I am working on my NCAA pretest and a I have a question. The correct answer does not seem to be supplied. A little help would be appreciated. This is exactly how it is written.

A1 is awarded a one-and-one. While A1 is in the act of shooting and before releasing the ball, B1 steps into the lane followed by A2. The official inadvertently blows the whistle after the release of the shot; the try is unsuccessful.

A) Count the free throw and award the second of the bonus.
B) Cancel the free throw and begin the one-and-one again with a delayed violation on B1.
C) Cancel the free throw and award Team A the ball out of bounds nearest to where the violation occurred.
D) Award the ball to the team entitled to the arrow under the alternating-possession procedure.

A rule reference would be appreciated.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I didn't like the way this one is worded either. The ball clearly does not become dead on the whistle (6-6-1a). However, we have a delayed violation against the defense, which gives the shooter a replacement FT under the same conditions as the original FT (9-2-4b). That would be a 1-and-1.

So the correct answer should be: cancel the FT and award A1 the first FT of a 1-and-1.

But that answer isn't on the list. So what are they looking for?

I put (B) b/c it's the only one that says A1 still gets a 1-and-1. But there shouldn't be any delayed violation. The "new" 1-and-1 is the penalty for the defensive violation.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:21am
Courageous When Prudent

B1's actions caused A2 to violate, so no violation on A2.

A1 is still entitled to uninterrupted free-throw, and B1's violation is still subject to penalty. Therefore:

B) Cancel the free throw and begin the one-and-one again with a delayed violation on B1.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoref
A1 is awarded a one-and-one. While A1 is in the act of shooting and before releasing the ball, B1 steps into the lane followed by A2. The official inadvertently blows the whistle after the release of the shot; the try is unsuccessful.

A rule reference would be appreciated.
NCAA rule 9-2-4 AR178 might help.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
However, in the AR we have the whistle before the release of the FT. The question has the whistle after the release of the FT. Shouldn't that make a difference?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:52am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto
However, in the AR we have the whistle before the release of the FT. The question has the whistle after the release of the FT. Shouldn't that make a difference?
It should in our minds...but it doesn't. The correct answer is B.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

No games with you this year so far......

I am bummed
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Why?

If you look at 7-21 AR 161, you'll see that an inadvertent whistle is handled differently depending on whether whether it occurs before or after the ball is released on a try. If it occurs before the ball is released, then team A still has possession and we give the ball back to A. If it occurs after the release, the shot "counts" and we ignore the whistle if the shot goes in, and go to the AP if it misses.

Based on this, it would seem that the FT attempt would not be canceled by the inadvertent whistle and we'd enforce the violation by B1 by giving the ball back to A1 for the first FT of a one-and-one, but with no delayed violation against B1.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoref
No games with you this year so far......

I am bummed
Hey Scotty,

Maybe rockyroad put you in as one of his blocks.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why?

If you look at 7-21 AR 161, you'll see that an inadvertent whistle is handled differently depending on whether whether it occurs before or after the ball is released on a try. If it occurs before the ball is released, then team A still has possession and we give the ball back to A. If it occurs after the release, the shot "counts" and we ignore the whistle if the shot goes in, and go to the AP if it misses.

Based on this, it would seem that the FT attempt would not be canceled by the inadvertent whistle and we'd enforce the violation by B1 by giving the ball back to A1 for the first FT of a one-and-one, but with no delayed violation against B1.
But the action of the play itself dictates that B is the correct answer. Sometimes you have to invoke the "spirit of the rule" clause in your thinking.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:57am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Why?

Because I said so...just kidding. Actually, because I already took the test, put B as my answer, and got it right.

And Scott, regardless of what Z says, I didn't block you...the boss said something about having too many good-looking officials on the court distracting all those women coaches - getting too many complaints about that, I guess...

Shutup Jr, just shutup!!
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevzebra
But the action of the play itself dictates that B is the correct answer. Sometimes you have to invoke the "spirit of the rule" clause in your thinking.
It's exactly the spirit of the rule that led me to question this. Had there been no inadvertent whistle, A1 would be given the first shot of a one-and-one as the result of B2's violation. Since the whistle occurred after the ball was released (and therefore could not have had any affect on A1's attempt), the result of that attempt should be allowed to stand on its merits.

Let's take the violation out of the picture and propose another situation. A1 is awarded one FT. A1 releases the ball on the FT attempt. The ball hits the rim and bounces straight up. An official blows his/her whistle at that point. Would you cancel the FT and give A1 another FT if the ball goes in? What if the ball doesn't go in?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Can you post that AR? I don't have that in my book from '06.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

A.R. 178. A1 is attempting the second of two free throws. B2 violates the lane followed by a lane violation by A2. The official inadvertently blows his/her whistle, which stops play, before A1 releases the ball for his/her attempt. The officials re-administer the freethrow attempt by placing the ball at the disposal of A1 for his/her free-throw attempt. Before A1’s release of the ball for his/her try, B3 commits a lane violation.

RULING:
When A1’s free throw attempt is unsuccessful, he/she shall be awarded a substitute free substitute free throw. When A1’s attempt is successful, B2’s violation shall be ignored.

Not exactly the same scenario as the initial post, but kinda in the same spirit. But I understand Lotto's point. The question or the choices probably should be worded differently.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 01:13pm.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Can you post that AR? I don't have that in my book from '06.
A.R. 178. A1 is attempting the second of two free throws. B2 violates the lane followed by a lane violation by A2. The official inadvertently blows his/her whistle, which stops play, before A1 releases the ball for his/her attempt. The officials re-administer the free-throw attempt by placing the ball at the disposal of A1 for his/her free-throw attempt. Before A1’s release of the ball for his/her try, B3 commits a lane violation. RULING: When A1’s free throw attempt is unsuccessful, he/she shall be awarded a substitute free throw. When A1’s attempt is successful, B2’s violation shall be ignored.