The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

A1 is attempting the first of 2 free throws. After the ball is handed to the shooter but before he shoots, A2 and B1 decide to change places on the lane. They do so simultaneously such that it is impossible to tell which one violated first. What's the call?
In the heat of battle, I canceled the shot and proceeded with the second shot. I figured that if a coach got excited, I would say that A2 violated first--the coaches said nothing (amazing as that might seem) and the call sold real well but I want to know what the correct procedure should have been for the next time, thanks, Ralph.

[This message has been edited by Ralph Stubenthal (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

You handled the situation exactly right. Good job. It was a double lane violation as soon as the teammate of the shooter stepped over or across his boundary plane. If only the opponent did so, you delay the call to see if the free throw goes in (but use the fist signal to indicate a pending violation). If it misses, then you blow the whistle and assess the penalty--i.e., giving the shooter a "do over." But when a teammate violates, it is an immediate violation and "no shot." If a double violation occurs, administer the next shot, or go with the possession arrow and put the ball in on the baseline. But . . . if the teammate initiates the switch and, hence, violates before the opponent, the ball becomes dead right away and only that first violation is penalized. Hope that all made sense to you. Bottom line . . . you got it right, even if you didn't know why.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 01-19-2000 01:12 PM
You handled the situation exactly right. Good job. It was a double lane violation as soon as the teammate of the shooter stepped over or across his boundary plane. If only the opponent did so, you delay the call to see if the free throw goes in (but use the fist signal to indicate a pending violation). If it misses, then you blow the whistle and assess the penalty--i.e., giving the shooter a "do over." But when a teammate violates, it is an immediate violation and "no shot." If a double violation occurs, administer the next shot, or go with the possession arrow and put the ball in on the baseline. But . . . if the teammate initiates the switch and, hence, violates before the opponent, the ball becomes dead right away and only that first violation is penalized. Hope that all made sense to you. Bottom line . . . you got it right, even if you didn't know why.

So, what you are saying is: if the double violation occurs on the first shot, just cancel the shot and shoot the 2nd shot but if it happens on the second shot, go with the alternating possession arrow at the baseline? Thanks, Ralph.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Exactly right!