The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thanks for posting the AR, guys. But it doesn't help. In our sitch, the whistle blew while the ball was in the air. That means the ball stays live until the try ends. That means that he got the first FT, so the penalty for the defensive violation is assessed just as if there was no whistle, IMHO.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Thanks for posting the AR, guys. But it doesn't help. In our sitch, the whistle blew while the ball was in the air. That means the ball stays live until the try ends. That means that he got the first FT, so the penalty for the defensive violation is assessed just as if there was no whistle, IMHO.

That is exactly what I was thinking, but that was not a possible answer on the test.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto
A.R. 178. A1 is attempting the second of two free throws. B2 violates the lane followed by a lane violation by A2. The official inadvertently blows his/her whistle, which stops play, before A1 releases the ball for his/her attempt. The officials re-administer the free-throw attempt by placing the ball at the disposal of A1 for his/her free-throw attempt. Before A1’s release of the ball for his/her try, B3 commits a lane violation. RULING: When A1’s free throw attempt is unsuccessful, he/she shall be awarded a substitute free throw. When A1’s attempt is successful, B2’s violation shall be ignored.
This is poorly written.

Why would they complicate the situation with a second violation by B3 during the replacement FT? It detracts from the point that was attempting to be made.

Also, no where in the ruling does it state that the delayed violation by B2 is still in effect during the replacement throw. It should be.

Furthermore, why does the ruling totally ignore what happened during the replacement FT? Shouldn't it at least state that A1 gets yet another try if that FT attempt was unsuccessful due to B3's violation?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
That's what I was sayin'!!
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't read any of these posts except the first one so if I say anything that's already been said sorry. I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Count the basket and move on.

It's in the question. They would not give you the information about the player in the act of shooting when the whistle blows if they didn't want you to count the basket. Don't have my rule book in front of me. It's all about question recognition and good test taking skills. oh yeah, and knowing the rules, but that's arbitrary.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I haven't read any of these posts except the first one so if I say anything that's already been said sorry. I'm in a bit of a hurry.

It's in the question. They would not give you the information about the player in the act of shooting when the whistle blows if they didn't want you to count the basket. Don't have my rule book in front of me. It's all about question recognition and good test taking skills. oh yeah, and knowing the rules, but that's arbitrary.
I think that your question recognition, good test taking skills and rules knowledge might need a little work.

You're completely wrong.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

From the original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoref
... the try is unsuccessful.

Quote:

You would certainly be moving on. If you counted a try that didn't go in, it would be the last game you ever worked in that conference.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I apologize, i just went down dyslexia lane!!

What if the basketball had went in?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I apologize, i just went down dyslexia lane!!

What if the basketball had went in?
It would count in this particular scenario.

BTW Chuck or rainmaker will come along shortly and correct your grammar.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It would count in this particular scenario.

BTW Chuck or rainmaker will come along shortly and correct your grammar.
But if a made FT would count, why wouldn't the missed FT "count" as well? I really don't understand the logic behind the test question's official answer here.