The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel or Not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28511-travel-not.html)

gshade03 Tue Sep 26, 2006 03:47pm

Travel or Not?

If I am dribbling the ball and then take jump stop am I allowed to use my pivot foot? Is this a travel or not?

mick Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshade03
If I am dribbling the ball and then take jump stop am I allowed to use my pivot foot? Is this a travel or not?

Not enough information to say. What do you mean by the term "jump stop"? When did you gather the ball ?

rainmaker Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Not enough information to say. What do you mean by the term "jump stop"? When did you gather the ball ?

And what do you mean by "use the pivot foot"?

ChuckElias Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:19pm

If you catch the ball in the air and land on two feet, you may pivot.

If you catch the ball in the air and land on foot, you may then jump off that foot and land simultaneously on two feet. But then you may not pivot.

Hope that helps.

mick Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
If you catch the ball in the air and land on two feet, you may pivot.

If you catch the ball in the air and land on foot, you may then jump off that foot and land simultaneously on two feet. But then you may not pivot.

Hope that helps.

gshade03 was dribbling, not catching.

M&M Guy Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:51pm

Quote:

Maybe he was doing both? Dribbling, then catching/gathering?

If that's the case, we need to know exactly when one stopped and the other occured.

If he was dribbling the whole time, jump stops and pivot feet would not apply, right?

ChuckElias Tue Sep 26, 2006 05:55pm

Quote:

If he's dribbling, he can pivot all he wants and his question is irrelevant. I'm assuming that at some point he's going to pick up his dribble (i.e., catch the ball).

gshade03 Tue Sep 26, 2006 08:23pm

Quote:

i have received the ball, then i began to dribble towards the lane. I take a jump stop at the foul line, pick up the ball and both of my feet hit the floor at the same time. Can i then pivot (like keep one foot on the ground and turn to pass the ball to the wing)?

wanja Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:56pm

If you have completed a legal jump stop by landing simultaneously on both feet, you have no pivot foot. You may lift either foot but you must pass or dribble before returning the lifted foot to the floor. Lifting and returning the foot before passing or dribbling is a travel violation.

wanja Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:58pm

the prior post should have noted pass or shoot rather than pass or dribble.

rainmaker Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:25pm

Quote:

i have received the ball, then i began to dribble towards the lane. I take a jump stop at the foul line, pick up the ball and both of my feet hit the floor at the same time. Can i then pivot (like keep one foot on the ground and turn to pass the ball to the wing)?

It still depends on your definition of "jump stop". I'm assuming you mean that you jump and land on both feet. But I can't tell where in that process your dribble ends. Did you jump, land on both feet and then pick up the ball and then both feet hit the floor at the same time?? I'm confused...

ChuckElias Wed Sep 27, 2006 07:18am

Let me try this again. It's not hard.

If you end your dribble by catching the ball in the air and then land on two feet, you may pivot.

If you end your dribble by catching the ball in the air and land on one foot, you may then jump off that foot and land simultaneously on two feet. But then you may not pivot.