The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 24, 2001, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

In our adult rec. league, most of the teams have player/coaches, player/managers, or player/captains... Most likely a typical scenario.
When benches act up in the youth rec. leagues, Jr. Highs, or Sr. Highs, the head coach is the one penalized for bench misbehavior.
How have you guys/gals handled (control) bench decorum when the team management/leadership are players too?
I have handled it this season in this fashion. In the pre-game conference, I let the team representatives know that they are also responsible for their bench personel. Any problems from the bench that warrants a "T" will also be indirectly assessed to them as well. They wouldn't have to sit down, but the indirect would be added to the total number of personal fouls that they already have.
What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2001, 01:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You need to have the league clarify the policy. One way I have seen is to require each team to have a captain. This designation does not change for the entire season (unless that guy is absent, then a designated captain is named for that game). Usually the captain is the guy who was responsible for getting the team signed up for the league. This guy then has the same responsibility as a coach normally would in a HS game. He must control his players and he gets indirect technicals for anything a coach normally would, even if he is on the floor at the time.

Of course, you really don't hold these teams to some administrative rules like having rosters and starters designated in the book, uniform violations, etc., but you do use the indirect T for bench behavior problems.

What this system does is it gives you an ally to help keep order.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2001, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Another of those "WELL SAID" responses

It is another of those thorough answers.

ATTA BOY, Mark!