The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2nd-hand sitch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28391-2nd-hand-sitch.html)

mick Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:23pm

2nd-hand sitch

I just heard this recap:
  • Seconds left in GJV last night.
  • Home dribbling ball and Visiting coach requested and was granted a time-out. Home coach expressed some concern to the officials.
  • My assumption is, official(s) got rattled, because the Visitors got the throw-in and scored the winning basket.
  • Must have been a good play !
I imagine the Home coach is still restless.
mick

ChuckElias Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:33pm

Wrong team gets the TO, then the wrong team gets the ball. Ouch. :(

euby Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:55pm

I was at home last night:rolleyes:

That my story an I'm sticking to it.

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 20, 2006 02:14pm

Ahhhhh.....sounds like a case for the President of Oklahoma U.

FrankHtown Wed Sep 20, 2006 02:15pm

My variation on that is: Ball Goes Out of bounds...Team A to get throw in....Team B calls time out. To resume play, we give Team B the ball. I guess cause they called time out.

One of my very first games. Now, I always, before granting the time out, find my partner(s), yell to them who is getting the ball and where the spot is. It doesn't decrease the chance of my going brain dead, but hopefully all of us won't go brain dead at the same time.

Nevadaref Wed Sep 20, 2006 02:43pm

And before someone asks, these are NOT correctable errors. They are official's mistakes, and as rainmaker says we must live with them in ignominy!

rainmaker Wed Sep 20, 2006 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
And before someone asks, these are NOT correctable errors. They are official's mistakes, and as rainmaker says we must live with them in ignominy!

Actually what I said was that we have to bear the ignominy and shame. It's not the quote I wanted to be remembered for, but, oh well.

These errors aren't correctable, as defined in 2.10, but giving the ball to the wrong team is fixable up until the ball is legally touched in-bounds. After that, it's too late.

Camron Rust Thu Sep 21, 2006 01:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Actually what I said was that we have to bear the ignominy and shame. It's not the quote I wanted to be remembered for, but, oh well.

These errors aren't correctable, as defined in 2.10, but giving the ball to the wrong team is fixable up until the ball is legally touched in-bounds. After that, it's too late.

Even if it is illegally touched, it is too late to fix it. If it is illegally touched, you have a new violation the subsequent throwin will be applied accordingly.

Even if there is a foul before the throwin has been touched at all, the foul stands and the penalty for it is applied.

Basically, it is fixable if it is recognized before the throwin ends...legally or not.

Jimgolf Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:15am

This can't be true. I heard no reports of 7.0 or greater on the Richter scale in Michigan yesterday due to a coach's head exploding.

mick Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
This can't be true. I heard no reports of 7.0 or greater on the Richter scale in Michigan yesterday due to a coach's head exploding.

:)
Nope. It exploded 8 years ago when the same coach [Home] told me that I was the worst official he had seen in 20 years.

Dan_ref Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
:)
Nope. It exploded 8 years ago when the same coach [Home] told me that I was the worst official he had seen in 20 years.

Sorry, you can't be.

I have it on good authority that I am the worst offical ever.

Jurassic Referee Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Sorry, you can't be.

I have it on good authority that I am the worst offical ever.

And I'm the good authority.......

It's true, it's true.....

rainmaker Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Even if it is illegally touched, it is too late to fix it. If it is illegally touched, you have a new violation the subsequent throwin will be applied accordingly.

Even if there is a foul before the throwin has been touched at all, the foul stands and the penalty for it is applied.

Basically, it is fixable if it is recognized before the throwin ends...legally or not.

Thanks Camron. I always forget to account for the little glitches that can screw up my generalities. If the ball is illegally touched, basically the mistake doesn't really matter any more, anyway, so I didn't think of that. Also the point about the foul is good. Fouls during a throw-in are so rare, I forgot about the possibility. So the wording should be, "...fixable until the throw-in ends." Got it.

SamIAm Thu Sep 21, 2006 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
I just heard this recap:
  • Home dribbling ball and Visiting coach requested and was granted a time-out. Home coach expressed some concern to the officials.
  • My assumption is, official(s) got rattled, because the Visitors got the throw-in and scored the winning basket.
mick

Mick,
Bullet point three doesn't specifically say which team attempted the throw-in. Are you saying the visitors stole the ball on the throw-in play to win the game or are you saying the the officials let the visitors attempted the throw- in?

The difference in my eyes is a minor mistake versus a major mistake.

mick Thu Sep 21, 2006 02:24pm

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mick
I just heard this recap:
mick

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Mick,
Bullet point three doesn't specifically say which team attempted the throw-in. Are you saying the visitors stole the ball on the throw-in play to win the game or are you saying the the officials let the visitors attempted the throw- in?

The difference in my eyes is a minor mistake versus a major mistake.

Yeah, SamIAm,
It was the major goof.
The visitors were given the ball and the throw-in, eventhough the Home team should have had it.
mick