The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MA fee for a varsity game is $72, I believe. 25% of that is $18. I work roughly 20 varsity games a year. That would be a charge of $360 per season! I pay a third of that for my college schedule!!
$72 per game at a varsity level, is it 3 man or 2 man? We get paid $56 for a 3 man crew.. This is why I mentioned in my earlier post.
I had some conversations with AD's, they get charged 10% booking right up front before any game gets officiated. Then they get charged $80 to $85 per game per officials. So bottom line is they make a ton of money.. The association also has other membership fees in the scheme of it's small.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The MA fee is $72 (maybe $73 this year) for 2-whistle and $58 for 3-whistle.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 01:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

In any event I understand in the MD/VA area associations assign virtually *all* games, so they don't actually act as associations they act as agents. And they take their cut off the top.
That's how it is done here on the Peninsula. Our elected assigner/commissioner (2 year term) negotiates game fees with leagues/schools. Our pay roll sheets that accompany our checks reflect the negotiated game fee for each game minus the 8% commissioner's fee. The commissioner does not get any cut of our travel fees.

Our by-laws state that association members cannot work in leagues and tournaments for which our association unsuccessfully bid. Our assocation has all HS & MS ball locked up on the peninsula so this almost always applies to rec leagues and one particular military tournament. This is definitely a bone of contention among our constituency.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 01:34pm.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Brick_City_Reff
It amazing to see how different rules apply across the country, it would be great if there was more continuity especially at the High School level.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick_City_Reff
It amazing to see how different rules apply across the country, it would be great if there was more continuity especially at the High School level.
Why would that be "great?" It's a local issue, to be decided by local schools and local officials associations.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, we pay the assignor a fee of $65 for the season. He also gets paid a set fee from the schools that he assigns for. He also charges the schools a fee of $25 if they choose to make any changes in the schedule after it is turned in. We get $55 for three officials in V, $45 for JV.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Why would that be "great?" It's a local issue, to be decided by local schools and local officials associations.
Bob, I think you meant to say it's a regional thing.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 04:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs down

A little off the path, but this is the most recent thread I found talking about game fees.

Anyways, I worked a JV girls game on Tuesday night. I got paid $32 for those duties. This morning, I worked at the same school, however, this was a girls varsity Turkey tourney. I got paid $30 for this game. Talk about a drop off.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why is that criminal?

At the very least they know about what the fees are. We work for assignors and no one knows what the assignors are paid for assigning games. What the schools pay the assignor should be between the schools and the assignor.

Peace
Like everyone (I know, I'm making a big assumption here) I'm an independent contractor. I belong to an association out of convenience and necessity...i.e., to get game assignments. The assignor is an elected member of our local association whose job is to make assignments for the HS and local rec leagues we work. The assignor works for the association, not the league/schools. He is not my boss; I don't work for the assignor...he, in effect, works for me and I pay him what amounts to a 10% commission to assign me games (yeah, I know, I live in a dream world ).

We as an association, through our elected commission members, negotiate the contract (to include game fees) we have with one of the two local HS leagues; we work all their games. By association-league agreement, the only pay is game fees (there is no mileage pay because all our member schools are within a few miles of each other...very little travel) This is the way it has been in all four HS-assigning associations I've ever belonged to (aside from the travel-pay issue).

We pay our assignor 10% for all games (school or rec) and the association typically votes him a small stipend at the end of the school season. He works hard, does an excellent job, and in my opinion earns that 10%. However, if he's getting additional pay from the league/member schools without my knowledge, I'd be pissed and want to know about it.

I realize not every association is like this, but it's always been my experience. And BTW, we get only $40 per man per HS varsity game, 3-whistle crew; JV/Frosh gets $30 for 2-whistles...we ain't getting rich.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

In Louisiana public schools, we pay the AS $35 for the season and get paid at each game. The schools pay him $50 for jr high and $75 for varsity for the year. We usually get a check at the middle of last game. In our assocoation we normally do 2-man and get $16 for jr high and $18 for varsity plus travel. La. has three classifications of officials and the bonus for that is $1.00 and $3.00 per game. We also get $.30 per mile travel per offical. Believe it or not every so often an official will say "this sure is a great way to make money".

In private school, we pay the AS $30 for the season and the schools pay $75 I think. Most private schools pay in cash and most never ask for a signature or a SS#. We get $30 for JV and $40 for varsity with no travel. Most of the time we do 4 games a night when calling private schools.

After reading the posts above, I don't think we are going to have a great influx of officials from out of state trying to get a piece of the pie.

barryb
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropduster
After reading the posts above, I don't think we are going to have a great influx of officials from out of state trying to get a piece of the pie.

barryb
I would tend to agree, that does seem really low for HS games, in NH, as I've said before, we get $55 for JV and $75 for varsity

that goes for all sports also, the NH Athletic Association
standardized the pay for all high school sports

Joe
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 10:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
we get $55 for JV and $75 for varsity

that goes for all sports also, the NH Athletic Association
standardized the pay for all high school sports
Really? Even in sports like football that require 4 or more officials? Even for hockey, which requires an additional "skill" besides officiating? That's very interesting.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Really? Even in sports like football that require 4 or more officials? Even for hockey, which requires an additional "skill" besides officiating? That's very interesting.
I'm from NH as well and yes with a couple exceptions. For 3-whistle basketball it goes down to $55 each. In games like football where there are more than three officials, it does go down, but I don't know what it is.

We make out pretty good up here. The money is decent for games and we don't travel more than 40 miles one way.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 05:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
I'm from NH as well and yes with a couple exceptions. For 3-whistle basketball it goes down to $55 each. In games like football where there are more than three officials, it does go down, but I don't know what it is.

We make out pretty good up here. The money is decent for games and we don't travel more than 40 miles one way.
Except for the guys that have to go to Colebrook, Pittsburg & Stratford.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

TJones....
Did both of your games use the same number of officials?? We make a little less per game if we use 3 officials.