The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

I just finish my first camp, which was great. After I review my tapes more I will have more question for you guys , but here is the first one.
A1 is at the foul line(with the ball), B3 & A4 are in the wrong spaces,(spots 2&3) just before A1 perpares to shoot they switch places. Who is the violation on A4 for moving or could it be on B3 for discernment(not sure on the spelling). My partner called it on A4, cancel the first shot(which was missed) I was not sure so I said OK lets play. I missed asking the observer about it, but since there is a wealth of knowledge on this borad I'll ask you guys.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Unless you believed one of the players was trying to decieve the other into movement this is a double violation.
if on the first or second and another FT to follow cancel
the throw and shoot the next. If on the last FT cancel the throw and go to the possession arrow.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BMA
I just finish my first camp, which was great. After I review my tapes more I will have more question for you guys , but here is the first one.
A1 is at the foul line(with the ball), B3 & A4 are in the wrong spaces,(spots 2&3) just before A1 perpares to shoot they switch places. Who is the violation on A4 for moving or could it be on B3 for discernment(not sure on the spelling). My partner called it on A4, cancel the first shot(which was missed) I was not sure so I said OK lets play. I missed asking the observer about it, but since there is a wealth of knowledge on this borad I'll ask you guys.
As Paul said this is a judgement call. You can usually
tell when a player initiates the double switch, if not then
go with the double violation. BTW, was this your partner's
call or your call? BTW2, you do realize that in fed
spaces 2 & 3 "belong" to no one, right? Only space
1 (closest to the end line) must be occupied by the defense,
by rule.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

This happened when I was watching my son's game, I thought it was going to be a double violation, the FT was good and no violation was called. One of the officials also did college ball, so I thought I'd better look it up.

The comment on case 9.1.4b states "If a Team B player uses verbal tactics like "your in my space" or a time-out request to fake an opponent into violations, only the fake is penalized.

Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
One thing to remember in a double violation situation is that things depend on who violates first. If B3 moves first, then you have a potential violation (fist out!). When A4 then moves, you have a double violation. However, if A4 moves first, then you have an immediate violation. Even if B3 moves just a moment later, it is not a double violation---the ball is already dead at that point.

In the case where there is another free throw to follow, the penalties are exactly the same---cancel the current free throw and shoot the next one. However, if there is no subsequent free throw, the penalties are different---go to the arrow for the double violation, give the ball to B for the single violation.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
lined up wrong

I'm sure you know this, and I don't mean to sound snotty, but why did the shooter have the ball when the players were not lined up correctly? Better to get it right than to figure out how to fix it.

Chuck
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: lined up wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I'm sure you know this, and I don't mean to sound snotty, but why did the shooter have the ball when the players were not lined up correctly? Better to get it right than to figure out how to fix it.

Chuck
Chuck,
Other than the first spot, I don't coach the players as to where they may stand and who has rights to where. As long as they aren't moving too far, I do not care.
I have some partners that will tell players where to go, but, I think, if I do that, then I should also tell them, "There is an open guy under the basket".
mick
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: lined up wrong

Quote:

Chuck
Chunk: you are right I should have been aware of the players position on the lane, but if you check Dan_ref reply only the two spaces near the end line must be taken by a defender.
To look at it from game management should I have instructed them to change places or is this some thing the coach should have taugth them. (dont' want to argue just understand)
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: lined up wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by BMA
Quote:

Chuck
Chunk: you are right I should have been aware of the players position on the lane, but if you check Dan_ref reply only the two spaces near the end line must be taken by a defender.
To look at it from game management should I have instructed them to change places or is this some thing the coach should have taugth them. (dont' want to argue just understand)
Why would you tell them to change positions? The only
time I'll tell players where to stand on FT's is when
they are lined up incorrectly *by rule* or if 2 players
disagree about who is entitled to what spot.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I think it depends on the level as well. When I am doing younger kid ball, I suck it up and help them out, they don't know any better. If it 8th grade or higher, too bad so sad.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

If B moved first, then A moves double violation. If A moves first, immediate violation and it doesn't matter if B moves or not. I also agree that the only spaces I worry about on free throws (NFHS) are the bottom two and the little space next to the free throw line. I'm sure most of you have had players try to line up there once in awhile! College is diferent.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yer right.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I think it depends on the level as well. When I am doing younger kid ball, I suck it up and help them out, they don't know any better. If it 8th grade or higher, too bad so sad.
Brian,
I agree with you. Each game is a little different.
I often play it by ear, cuz everyone knows I can't see.
I'll help some kids, if they look really lost.
mick

1st girls' scrimmage next Monday. Can't wait!
We're workin' a "freebee" three-man.
They offered money, but I told 'em just drinks will be good.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Totally my bad!!!!

Quote:

First of all, who you callin' "Chunk"?!?! I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned!!!

Second of all, I should've read more carefully. Of course, I was thinking that the players were in the first two spots, but the original post specifically said that they were in spots 2 & 3.

So you may totally ignore my last post in this thread. Jeez, I just get invited to this board and I've already got my foot in my mouth. Great first impressions. . .

My apologies. duh

Chuck
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Totally my bad!!!!

Quote:

So you may totally ignore my last post in this thread. Jeez, I just get invited to this board and I've already got my foot in my mouth. Great first impressions. . .

My apologies. duh

Chuck
Chuck, or Chunk as the case may be, the great thing about this board is that you can delete a post when you stick your foot in your mouth.

Unless, of course, someone does you the injustice of quoting it.

TH

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Question

The points made above all make sense. For beginner officials, the main point to remember is that as soon as the shooting team violates, the ball is dead, and the free throw does not count.

This may be an odd question, by why is the defense required to occupy the first spot? I understand that it was originally designed to prevent delay of game, or lack of action, but if they do not want that advantage, who cares? Just something to think about.