The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   One-eyed Referee Sues Big Ten Over Firing (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27477-one-eyed-referee-sues-big-ten-over-firing.html)

jeffpea Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:38pm

One-eyed Referee Sues Big Ten Over Firing

check out this story in today's Chicago Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...-bigten18.html

I've actually worked a college basketball game with him 2 yrs ago. Didn't know about his visual impairment until I read the article. I can certainly understand why the Big 10 did what it did; but I can also understand his perspective as well.....

What are your thoughts?

Raymond Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea
I can certainly understand why the Big 10 did what it did;
What are your thoughts?

I could've agree with the Big Ten had they fired him back in 2000 or 2001. But 5 seasons and an Orange Bowl assignment later???!!! The Big Ten is on shaky ground with this one. They better have performance reports to back up this decision.

KenThree Tue Jul 18, 2006 01:39pm

While this is certainly unfair to the official involved, if the facts as presented are 100% accurate, the decision to sue was also a decision that likely ended his career at that level and many others as well. I hope he did not make it lightly.

In this litigious society we have all created, I find it hard to believe that any official at that level who complains and then sues will find a lot of propsective employers. Commissioners simply don't want problems.

This is not to indict the official, but to say that this is an example of the dilemmas we all face where the supply of people willing to do the job quietly is greater than the demand for people of exceptional skill.

While much more trivial than being released because of an unfortunate change in physical condition, we all know that if we complain about the conditions surrounding the games we work or the criteria for which we are hired, we have much less of a chance to actually get more assignments.

Not fair, but a truth of officiating.

JRutledge Tue Jul 18, 2006 01:54pm

I must confess that this Jimmy is from an association that I belong to in football. He is one of the nicest officials I have ever come in contact with. He helps people out all the time with advice or with information on how to get better as a football official and basketball official. I know a lot of the story behind the scenes and I will not come here and reveal that point of view. He was probably the highest rated official at his position and if his eye was not an issue then, why would it be now?

Jimmy is such a class guy that the officials that have gotten positions partly because of his situation, he has done nothing but extent a helping hand to those and does not show any bitterness towards those that got a shot in the Big Ten even if those guys took his place. I know of one guy that will work his first Big Ten game and Jimmy has told him he would go over whatever he needed to get ready for that game. I am just a lowly HS officials and Jimmy has talked to me a couple of times as if I was the most important person in the room when other people were clamoring to talk to him. I have nothing but love for Jimmy and I hope everything works out for him and his family. He got a raw deal even if this is just a business.

Peace

BktBallRef Tue Jul 18, 2006 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenThree
While this is certainly unfair to the official involved, if the facts as presented are 100% accurate, the decision to sue was also a decision that likely ended his career at that level and many others as well. I hope he did not make it lightly.

In this litigious society we have all created, I find it hard to believe that any official at that level who complains and then sues will find a lot of propsective employers. Commissioners simply don't want problems.

This is not to indict the official, but to say that this is an example of the dilemmas we all face where the supply of people willing to do the job quietly is greater than the demand for people of exceptional skill.

While much more trivial than being released because of an unfortunate change in physical condition, we all know that if we complain about the conditions surrounding the games we work or the criteria for which we are hired, we have much less of a chance to actually get more assignments.

Not fair, but a truth of officiating.

The decision that he will never work D-1 football has already been made. Not by the official but by the Big Ten. At this point, there's not much to lose.

deecee Tue Jul 18, 2006 03:50pm

KenThree can I be the first to extend the hose to you as you are one stand up guy. [/end sarcasm]

Usually in sports if one big conference fires you another one will not pick you up, that's just my understanding.

As for this litigious society we live in, this unlike the hot coffee or oh no my eggs arent completly cooked so I will sue bs falls under a legitamate gripe.

The conference knew of his position and didnt say anything -- he reffed for 5 years and even got an orange bowl -- in basketball I can imaging that as a final 4 assignment, and now all of a sudden hes not good because one dumbass coach probably didnt like a call made against hist team.

IMO the coach should be fired -- and I have coached and been fired myself but I never blame officials or expect officials to be blamed (unless they put themselves in positions to of course) but this coach needs a reality check.

truerookie Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:49pm

Wow!! I cannot believe this is happening and I do not know the gentleman.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jul 20, 2006 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
KenThree can I be the first to extend the hose to you as you are one stand up guy. [/end sarcasm]

Usually in sports if one big conference fires you another one will not pick you up, that's just my understanding.

As for this litigious society we live in, this unlike the hot coffee or oh no my eggs arent completly cooked so I will sue bs falls under a legitamate gripe.

The conference knew of his position and didnt say anything -- he reffed for 5 years and even got an orange bowl -- in basketball I can imaging that as a final 4 assignment, and now all of a sudden hes not good because one dumbass coach probably didnt like a call made against hist team.

IMO the coach should be fired -- and I have coached and been fired myself but I never blame officials or expect officials to be blamed (unless they put themselves in positions to of course) but this coach needs a reality check.

Yes, this college football coach should be fired. Why? Because he can't beat The Ohio State University Buckeyes in the last regular game of the season. Jim Tressel has Lloyd Carr's number and will always have it. Go Buckeyes!! and Go Youngstown State University Penguins!!

MTD, Sr.

Jimgolf Fri Jul 21, 2006 09:33am

This lawsuit should be a slam dunk for the official. Let's hope he has a good attorney.

It amazes me that a quasi-educational institution thinks it can discriminate against the handicapped when it should be at the forefront of enlightenment.

BktBallRef Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:23am

I wonder if the fact that the official is a independent will be a factor.

deecee Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30am

It shouldn't be a factor -- if this had happened as soon as he had this problem then there isnt much to say except you are right my one eye cant help officiating -- but after 5 years and an orange bowl assignment shows one (or all) of 3 things

a) He's a damn good official
b) that the evaluation process for officials is bs since they sent a one eyed official who sucks to one of the biggest games simply on seniority
c) said coach has an axe to grind and this is the easiest axe to get ground...

canuckrefguy Fri Jul 21, 2006 02:18pm

This is crap....the guy is in a select company - one that probably 99% of all football officials never attain....and he's all of a sudden not good enough?

As stated earlier, the conference better have their ducks in a row on this one.

BktBallRef Fri Jul 21, 2006 08:55pm

Yes, but an independent contractor is not an employee. As unfair as it is, I'm betting they're free to terminate their contract with him for whatever reason they wish to. Different rules apply to contract labor versus regular employees. THis'll be interesting.