The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arrow Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27369-arrow-question.html)

Grail Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:20am

Arrow Question

Here's the situation. Opening tip, Red vs. Blue. Neither team actually controls the tip, but Red definitely tips the ball out of bounds. No question that Blue gets the ball for a throw-in. How do we set the arrow?

Most have said that Blue has the ball, so the arrow should point to Red. Evaluator says that Red caused the ball to go out, thus they had control, set the arrow to Blue.

What's the correct call?

bob jenkins Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grail
Here's the situation. Opening tip, Red vs. Blue. Neither team actually controls the tip, but Red definitely tips the ball out of bounds. No question that Blue gets the ball for a throw-in. How do we set the arrow?

Most have said that Blue has the ball, so the arrow should point to Red. Evaluator says that Red caused the ball to go out, thus they had control, set the arrow to Blue.

What's the correct call?

The evaluator is wrong, or s/he saw red control the ball before it went out of bounds. The arrow is set when a team controls the ball, or it's at the disposal of the inbounder (or, in the rare case, at the disposal of the free-thrower following a common foul).

TADW_Elessar Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:36am

It doesn't matter which of the two jumpers touches the ball first. The team that does not gain control of the first live ball on the court will be the team entitled to the next alternated possession.

In your case, the red jumper tipped the ball out of bounds. Therefore, blue team gained control of the live ball for a throw-in and the arrow should have pointed towards blue team's basket.

ChuckElias Mon Jul 10, 2006 09:30am

Elassar,

You're in Sardinia, Italy? Congrats on that little soccer tournament thingy. :D

TADW_Elessar Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Elassar,

You're in Sardinia, Italy? Congrats on that little soccer tournament thingy. :D

I am, thank you :)

But, as you can guess, I'm waiting for the big tournament in Japan starting in forty days! ;)

ChuckElias Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TADW_Elessar
But, as you can guess, I'm waiting for the big tournament in Japan starting in forty days! ;)

Um, I can't guess. What's bigger than the World Cup? :confused:

M&M Guy Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:31am

Quote:

The Japanese World Series?

TADW_Elessar Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:38am

Quote:

FIBA World Championship 2006!!

:D

Dan_ref Mon Jul 10, 2006 01:34pm

Quote:

Ron Jeremy's Cup?

Nevadaref Mon Jul 10, 2006 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TADW_Elessar
It doesn't matter which of the two jumpers touches the ball first. The team that does not gain control of the first live ball on the court will be the team entitled to the next alternated possession.

In your case, the red jumper tipped the ball out of bounds. Therefore, blue team gained control of the live ball for a throw-in and the arrow should have pointed towards RED team's basket.

I'm sure that's what you meant. :)

TADW_Elessar Tue Jul 11, 2006 04:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm sure that's what you meant. :)

LOL, I see that overseas a team's basket is "the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball", while, according to FIBA 1.2, "The basket that is attacked by a team is the opponents' basket and the basket which is defended by a team is the team's own basket."

I didn't know that... weird, though :)

Nevadaref Tue Jul 11, 2006 05:52pm

Well that explains it. I didn't know that FIBA defined it that way.
:)