The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
You make the call.....

Late in the game. Team A leads by two points. 2.1 seconds left on the clock, team B is shooting the double bonus. Team B inbounds from the backcourt endline. Pass goes in to B1, who takes two dribbles and then cocks his arm back..... And gets hammered by A1!! Now, do you call two shots (before the shots) or three shots (in the act of shooting)??

I'll tell you how we handled it later.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
Late in the game. Team A leads by two points. 2.1 seconds left on the clock, team B is shooting the double bonus. Team B inbounds from the backcourt endline. Pass goes in to B1, who takes two dribbles and then cocks his arm back..... And gets hammered by A1!! Now, do you call two shots (before the shots) or three shots (in the act of shooting)??

That's why you get paid the big bucks... to make those critical decisions.

I'd have to see it, but it sounds like he was in the act of shooting to me. 3 shots.

Z
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

It's up to youto judge whether this was a try or a pass -- given the time left, I assume it was a try. Award three shots.

Having said that, I'd support a rule change that a "try" (or maybe just a three-point try) can only be from the front court
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's up to youto judge whether this was a try or a pass -- given the time left, I assume it was a try. Award three shots.

Having said that, I'd support a rule change that a "try" (or maybe just a three-point try) can only be from the front court
I don't know. Not that it happens often, but you'd be adding a new coaching strategy when up by three and the opponent has to launch a last second shot from beyond half-court. Foul the shooter; he would only get two shots.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 05:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I award 3 shots. And maybe possession.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 05:30pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Stones.....

Quote:

My 15YO son, whose reffing experience is under 40 games, made this call in a recent game with 1 sec left in the game. Shooting team was down 2, cold blooded 12YO girl swishes first two to send game to OT. They lost by 1 and, after the game, both coaches lauded him for the call because most officials tend to 'Eat Fox' during these situations.
My question is, what if he had assessed an intentional or flagrant. How many FTs?

Thanks
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
My question is, what if he had assessed an intentional or flagrant. How many FTs?
--3 FT's and the ball at the point of foul for an intentional or flagrant personal foul on a 3-point try.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I award 3 shots. And maybe possession.
This friend speaks my mind!
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't know. Not that it happens often, but you'd be adding a new coaching strategy when up by three and the opponent has to launch a last second shot from beyond half-court. Foul the shooter; he would only get two shots.
If it's (redefined to be) not a try, then there's no need to foul. It would be a live ball going thorugh the basket ==> 2 points.

The three-point shot is "good" for teams that run an offense to get someone open on the outside. I don't think it was intended for "last second desperation heaves". So, I'd either make them not a try, or call it a try but it's only worth two points.

Not a big deal either way, and there have been plenty of chances to change it and no rules code (that I'm aware of) has made the change, so it's not going to happen.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
The three-point shot is "good" for teams that run an offense to get someone open on the outside. I don't think it was intended for "last second desperation heaves".
Not sure I agree here.

I believe the 'intent' of the 3 pt shot was not so much to reward teams for moving their game to the perimeter as it was to thrill the fannies in the seats with these types of moments.

In any event I'm not so sure it's been good for the game, we've all been involved in games at many levels where the shooter clanks 3 off the rim before hitting his 2 or 3 for the night.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
If it's (redefined to be) not a try, then there's no need to foul. It would be a live ball going thorugh the basket ==> 2 points.
As long as it goes through before the buzzer sounds.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

The answer is.......

My partner deemed this play a 'pass'. Player got two shots, if he hits both we go to overtime. The other partner and myself (three-person) wanted to bring him over to confer, but he said "pass" right away. Kid missed the first, made the second. Game over.

After the game, we discussed the play, and came to the conclussion that we should have given three shots on the play, for the sheer stupidity of the p[layer on team A for fouling in that situation!!!
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Kid missed the first, made the second. Game over.
Was there any time left on the clock when the FTs were attempted? If not, he should not have shot the 2nd FT, right?
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

I let him shoot the second, but u're right, second was irrelevant. Summer ball.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I would think with things the way they are today, in this situation many coaches tell their kid to heave up a prayer and hope to get fouled in the process. The shot doesn't have a chance to go in, but if you can get three free throws to make two points, your chances go up. So it would be trading one coaching strategy for the logical opposite. Pick your poison.