The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:10am
MPLAHE

One of the 2005-06 TASO exceptions is the Lead does not administer sideline throw-ins. Does that meam if the ball goes out of bounds on the leads sideline below the foul line the lead goes out and becomes the new trail to administer the throw-in?

Could someone in Tx explain this if I have it incorrect?

thanks
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

I'm not from Texas, but I have to assume that this exception is referring only to three person crew mechanics.

Furthermore, it appears that TASO does not use NFHS mechanics, but follows the NCAA mechanics because only the NCAA men made the change this year to have the Lead administer the sideline throw-ins below the FT line extended. Otherwise there would be no need for them to issue an this exception.

The correct NFHS procedure for both boys and girls high school games is given on page 62-63 of the new officials manual:
331.b.
In the frontcourt, the throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary where the throw-in occurs. The officials not administering the throw-in shall use the "wide triangle" principle. The Lead administers all end line throw-ins and the Trail administers all sideline throw-ins. See Diagram 54.

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I believe Ronnie said we can go ahead and administer the throw in this year as lead. What we did before was to switch(Lead to trail) or switch sides of the floor. Pregame it.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

In Houston, we were told the lead administers ALL throw-ins below the free throw line extended, for both 2 and 3 person.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
In Houston, we were told the lead administers ALL throw-ins below the free throw line extended, for both 2 and 3 person.
So Houston does not follow NFHS rules in all cases? It would make more sense for trail to administer since sideline is his/her line to call. Trail could bounce pass and then step back into proper position. In fact, I had this exact situation in camp last week. Ball went out of bounds on my sdieline well below the foul line. And coach was rightfully so adamant about ball being spotted on sideline, not endline. I'm in Georgia. BTW, I plan on moving to Tyler, Texas in a couple of years. My wife is from Ft. Worth and would like to be closer to her family. I'm origianally from NY, but I LOVE Texas. Great state.

__________________________________________________ _______________"I think you have delighted us quite enough" - Jane Austen
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I have done both ways.

NFHS mechanics manual prescribes that the trail inbound all throw-ins on his sideline, but I like the lead taking the throw-in below the freethrow line extended much better. Just my opinion.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
I have done both ways.

NFHS mechanics manual prescribes that the trail inbound all throw-ins on his sideline, but I like the lead taking the throw-in below the freethrow line extended much better. Just my opinion.
Snake-eyes, why is that?
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLAHE
One of the 2005-06 TASO exceptions is the Lead does not administer sideline throw-ins. Does that meam if the ball goes out of bounds on the leads sideline below the foul line the lead goes out and becomes the new trail to administer the throw-in?

Could someone in Tx explain this if I have it incorrect?

thanks

LEAD WILL ADMINISTER SIDELINE THROW-INS BELOW THE FREE THROW LINE EXTENDED (2 & 3 PERSON MECHANICS)

per the TASO website.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Why did this pop up seven months later???
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 05:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Why did this pop up seven months later???
B/c some spammer wants us officials to visit Malaysia.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it appears that TASO does not use NFHS mechanics, but follows the NCAA mechanics
Texas uses Fed mechanics but has a few exceptions.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

We do things a little different in Texas

Yes, the lead will inbound the ball on the sidelines below the free throw line extended. The trail will mirror the clock starting chop to insure the table can see it. The trail still has sideline responsibility. This is to get closer to college mechanics. I think women's do this now.

Next year, we will no longer have the player or team control fould as the hand behind the head and will use the punch instead. All offensive fouls will use this mechanic.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Next year, we will no longer have the player or team control fould as the hand behind the head and will use the punch instead. All offensive fouls will use this mechanic.[/QUOTE]

The change I read was that the "punch" was just for team control, not for player control. For player control, we still use the old hand behind the head signal.

Can anyone point to an authoritative source that answers this question?
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Next year, we will no longer have the player or team control fould as the hand behind the head and will use the punch instead. All offensive fouls will use this mechanic.

The change I read was that the "punch" was just for team control, not for player control. For player control, we still use the old hand behind the head signal.

Can anyone point to an authoritative source that answers this question?[/quote]I cannot speak for what Texas may do, but here is what the Fed said about the new signal (the emphasis is mine):

TEAM-CONTROL FOUL SIGNAL ADDED (Signal Chart): A new signal has been added for a team-control foul. The arm is extended forward and the fist is punched. The new signal will eliminate confusion at the scorer’s table and with players, coaches and fans. The signal will communicate that the ball is going the other direction and no free throws will be attempted. The player-control foul signal has not changed (hand behind the head); both signals should be preceded by the stop clock for a foul signal (arm extended over head with the fist).
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

At camp last week (Houston), we were instructed that a Texas Exception for 2006-2007 would be the punch for all player/team control fouls. We'll see what happens in October at the State Meeting