The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADW_Elessar
It is not in the spirit and intent of the rules.
I also had a look at the NCAA rulebook and found this:

Rule 10. Fouls and penalties
"[...] Direct technical fouls include, but are not limited to, infractions that are unsporting in nature, such as acts of deceit, and disrespectful or vulgar remarks to officials or opponents."
Guess no more fake passes, head fakes or pump fakes since they're attempts to deceive the defense.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Guess no more fake passes, head fakes or pump fakes since they're attempts to deceive the defense.
Umph... come on!

[email protected]
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You guys are kidding, right? It's only deception in the way that an iso play is deception. And if the other team is stupid enough to fall for it....

Although, if a team is 50 points ahead and they try this, I gotta admit, I'll interfere. But the only two times I've seen it work, it was the team that was way, way behind that tried it and pulled it off. No way I'm gonna do anything to stop that!
I disagree. It's deceptive in a different way than an isolation play is deceptive. It just isn't basketball; it's not the way the game is meant to be played. I rather like the terminology the NCAA uses: deceitful.

Rather than being like an isolation play, it's more like the play in football where one wide receiver acts like he's heading off the field, then stops right at the OOB line and turns to face the same direction as his teammates off the field. His ploy is to convince the defense that he's left the field so they don't guard him. It exploits the confusion surrounding an unrelated artifact of the game (in this case players entering and leaving the field between downs) to try and gain an unintended advantage. And, in this case as well, you could argue that the defense should be more aware and not get fooled. Only in football this play is illegal.

You can lump this wrong-end-of-the-floor play in with shouting/clapping at a player going for a layup and the barking dog. None of them are expressly illegal; but all of them just aren't how the game is supposed to be played.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Are we really discussing someone getting down on their hands and knees and barking like a dog? I don't consider this an act of deceit, rather it is an act of foolishness. An act of deceit would be, as someone mentioned, pretending to faint on the court or feining a serious injury, not barking like a dog. If this ridiculous tactic actually works more power to the team that pulls it off, but in effect, the "barking dog" reduces your squad's effectiveness by a player.

Would I T this? Doubtful, unless I deemed that the act was demeaning to the other team in some way, in which case the T may be flagrant. The difference between faking an injury and acting like an idiot is huge, especially given the fact that several players over the last few years have died on the court and it's a serious matter. I think we are being bored and even over officious with this interpretation.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I think for the most part the "game is supposed to be played" how it is being played by the two teams on the court -- sometimes worse than what we are used to sometimes better -- but for the most part its their game who are we to tell them "Hey we dont like someting." If they break the rules fine but to call a player acting like an idiot deceitful is a joke. It doesn't exploit anything because unlike football subs need to be called onto the court by the official. Unlike football players are allowed to be anywhere on the court at any time (for the most part) there is no offsides and running plays from set stances. And unlike football we dont throw flags (dont know what that has to do with it).

By the way why isnt the fake field goal or punt deceitful -- fake and deceit are synonyms but it is what it is -- teams are ready and expecting those so they are prepared -- a player getting on all fours might not be what anyone is expecting but hey no rules have been broken, no team insulted, no one gets hurt and everyone get a good laugh. Yup sounds like a time to drop a T bomb to me...
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Talking Statue Of Liberty Play

I had a play in a recreational league, senior championship game....check this one out Chuck. Team A has possesion of the ball, in there front court. The score is at 88-88 with two seconds on the clock, in the fourth quarter. As A1 is about to inbounds the ball, his team mates line up alongside each other. A1 then yells out the work 'break' and 3 of his team mates just fall to the floor, as if to faint. Team B's defenders in shock just freeze and there attention is immediately taken to the 3 players that are now laid out on the floor. Then A1 passes the ball to A2 and he makes an uncontestant lay-up. The buzzer sounds and team A wins the championship game, in front of a packed house. Everyone could not believed what they have just witnessed.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

now i might consider that a T worthy ploy -- the defense was deceived by thinking those 3 players were hurt or injured -- big difference from doing something idiotic like barking and doing something stupid like feigning death...jmo
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, this month's (July's) RefMag has a case play on both the "barking dog" play (unsporting to to the PLAYER who barks) and the "blood on the jersey" rule (NO AMOUNT of blood is allowed).

I know RefMag is not always correct, but these plays were apparetnly vetted by Mary Struckhoff.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FWIW, this month's (July's) RefMag has a case play on both the "barking dog" play (unsporting to to the PLAYER who barks) and the "blood on the jersey" rule (NO AMOUNT of blood is allowed).

I know RefMag is not always correct, but these plays were apparetnly vetted by Mary Struckhoff.
Bob - this is where Mr. All-Around Annoying Guy steps in and mentions the fact the original poster referenced the Ref Mag article; that's how this discussion got started.

No problem; anytime.

(Used with permission.)