The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Case book submissions?

Guys, I've been asked to submit suggestions for case plays to be included in next season's case book. I have been asked specifically for plays that would be included under Rule 9. If you have a play that you think would be worth submitting, you can either post it here or email me via the forum.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

How about something to do with Section 13 - excessive swinging of arm(s) /Elbow(s)
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:27pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

How about a coach requesting a timeout during the other team's free throw?

Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
How about a coach requesting a timeout during the other team's free throw?

Take away the smilies.....it would be a good idea to get an official clarification on this on and end the arguments.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Guys, I've been asked to submit suggestions for case plays to be included in next season's case book. I have been asked specifically for plays that would be included under Rule 9. If you have a play that you think would be worth submitting, you can either post it here or email me via the forum.
Chuck, see #22 and #38 on your IAABO refresher exam of this year- the plays relating to a closely guarded count where another offensive player wanders in between the defender and the player with the ball. We've argued that one- it's not definitively covered in FEDlandia whether the count continues or is terminated.

The play Brad mentioned- whether a coach or player can ask for and be granted a future time-out with signalling at the appropriate time.

I'll dig up a few more when I get a chance.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Or what happens if a fan interferes with an obvious OOB.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Anything that settles the ambiguity surrounding closely guarded including whether, for purposes of the closely guarded rule, a dribblers path is defined as being in the direction he's traveling, as being directly towards the basket regardless of the direction he's traveling, or both.

Does a legally executed jump stop count as a "normal landing" for purposes of 9-9-3?

How does 7-5-7 interact with POI as per the discussion in Can the endline still be run?
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Chuck, see #22 and #38 on your IAABO refresher exam of this year- the plays relating to a closely guarded count where another offensive player wanders in between the defender and the player with the ball.

The play Brad mentioned- whether a coach or player can ask for and be granted a future time-out with signalling at the appropriate time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BITS
How does 7-5-7 interact with POI as per the discussion in Can the endline still be run?
Great suggestions. I will definitely include them.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Where's NevadaRef these days? I believe he has a list he's keeping of questions that many of us would like to see answered. If he doesn't show up soon, you ought to email him.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Does "rolling while sliding" (sliding due to momentum from diving on a loose ball) equal travelling?

If a throw in is first touched by a player who is OOB, should the clock start and stop (or never start)?

Clarification on "moves to try for goal" before a 3-second violation.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Should the clock start on a kicked ball during a throw-in?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

There was some discussion if, on an AP throw-in, B1 kicks the throw-in pass. Is the arrow reversed?
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

How about a specific case on an unintentional backboard slap that causes ring vibration which many affect the shot?

By rule, play on right? A backboard slap is either a T (if intentional) or nothing right?

Had a couple plays where a great leaper misses the block and unintentionally slaps the board on follow through. The shot is obviously affected by the board vibration. Sure seems like the shooter is disadvantaged with no penalty. Is that really what the Fed wants?

Z
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
How about a specific case on an unintentional backboard slap that causes ring vibration which many affect the shot?

By rule, play on right? A backboard slap is either a T (if intentional) or nothing right?

Had a couple plays where a great leaper misses the block and unintentionally slaps the board on follow through. The shot is obviously affected by the board vibration. Sure seems like the shooter is disadvantaged with no penalty. Is that really what the Fed wants?

Z
Yup.........casebook play 10.3.5. There's no other penalties listed than a "T" for a deliberate slap.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup.........casebook play 10.3.5. There's no other penalties listed than a "T" for a deliberate slap.
Agreed (although in the case you cite, the ball goes in so it isn't the sitch I'm talking about where the vibration caused by the slap affects the shot).

I'm just wondering if they have fully considered the scenario where the slap influences the shot even though it's an unintentional slap of the backboard. They may want to consider making it B.I. in that case. Why penalize the offensive team?

Giving in a T in this sitch is too harsh (and incorrect by rule) but letting the slap cause an otherwise good hoop to not go in sure seems wrong.

Z