The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation - Mavs Heat (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27095-backcourt-violation-mavs-heat.html)

BktBallRef Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
>>Nowitski's right hand is clearly in Wade's back as he is releasing the ball.<<

Dude, don't make stuff up. Dirk's hand is a foot or more away from Wade BEFORE Wade released the ball.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...delastshot.jpg

AS HE'S RELEASING THE BALL, not AFTER HE'S RELEASED THE BALL. The contact has already occurred at this point and the ball is already out of his hand, Aggie. Nice try though!

ESPN idiots Tim Legler and Greg Anthony are explaining on SportsCenter how the throw-in was a BC violation that should have been called. Idiots.

DPR Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
AS HE'S RELEASING THE BALL, not AFTER HE'S RELEASED THE BALL. The contact has already occurred at this point and the ball is already out of his hand, Aggie. Nice try though!

ESPN idiots Tim Legler and Greg Anthony are explaining on SportsCenter how the throw-in was a BC violation that should have been called. Idiots.

how wasn't it a backcourt violation? not saying i don't believe you, I think it wasn't a violation, but where does it clearly state it in the rulebook? I really want to know to shutup annoying Dallas fans :).

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPR
how wasn't it a backcourt violation? not saying i don't believe you, I think it wasn't a violation, but where does it clearly state it in the rulebook? I really want to know to shutup annoying Dallas fans :).

Geeze, didn't you read the start of this thread?:confused:

Go back to the first page about 8:30am this morning. Not only was the NBA rule cited, it was spelled out by Chuck Elias at 9:02am. It's NBA rule VIg. Couldn't be clearer.

Lah me.....

DPR Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:28pm

yeah i saw that im still a little bit confused

Rule 10 Section X - Ball in Backcourt
a. A player shall not be the first to touch a ball which he or a teammate caused to go from frontcourt to backcourt while his team was in control of the ball. EXCEPTION: Rule 8-Section III-e (EXCEPTION).

Rule 8, Section III
e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court.

i know this. but what does it say about jumping from the frontcourt, catching the ball without landing in the backcourt, and then landing in the backcourt with the ball.

DPR Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:35pm

wait were you talking about this:
g. Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, or (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period.

does that mean that your status, with the ball, if your in the air, is only attained once youve hit the ground and that it doesnt matter where you were without the ball?

BktBallRef Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPR
g. Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, or (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period.

does that mean that your status, with the ball, if your in the air, is only attained once youve hit the ground and that it doesnt matter where you were without the ball?

YES!

The rule with regards to leaping from the FC, catching the ball and landing inthe BC is the same at HS, collegiate and professional levels. It's legal.

DPR Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:51pm

but is there anyplace that explains this better? some people are still confused.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPR
but is there anyplace that explains this better? some people are still confused.

We've explained it and also cited the rule word-for-word. If they're still confused, then they're gonna have to stay confused.

All anyone has to do is read the first page of this thread. If they can't understand it, they can't be helped.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPR

See posts from 10:47am and 10:50am this morning....

Lah me......

BktBallRef Mon Jun 19, 2006 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPR

They aren't confused. They just refuse to believe that the play was correctly ruled on.

I don't know how to make it any simplier, DPR.

On a throw-in, a player can jump from his frontcourt, catch the ball and land in his backcourt. It's legal. That's what happened. It's that simple.

BktBallRef Mon Jun 19, 2006 06:18pm

Here ya go, DPR. This is the closest play I could find. It's basically the same as what the rule addressed.

From the NBA Case Book.

Play 348. Following a regular or 20-second timeout,Team A exercises its option and moves the ball to the 28’ hash mark. On the throw-in Player A1 passes the ball to Player A2 who is positioned in the backcourt. What is the ruling?

During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or overtime, any throw-in may be passed anywhere on the playing court. Frontcourt/backcourt status is established when a player with the ball secures a positive position on the court.

Since Wade doesn't have the ball until he's airborne and he then lands in the BC, he now has established his position. Legal play.

Texas Aggie Mon Jun 19, 2006 08:23pm

Quote:

You are making an absolute FOOL out of yourself.

The picture shows Dirk's right hand a foot or more BEHIND Wade when Wade is RELEASING the ball. His fingertips are still on the balll, or extremely close to it, for heaven's sakes. You did not state that the contact had already occured. What you said was: "He jerks it away as he hears the whistle." The pic shows that not to be true either, as there has been no whistle and won't be for another second or more. Sorry, but your arrogance doesn't cover up for your being incorrect.

Like I said, don't make things up. There's plenty of issues to legitimately argue about. There may even have been a foul on that play, but your statements were wrong.

blah Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:34am

TexasAggie.....you are clueless like many in College Station....and you make mavs fans look like a bunch of idiots. Please tell me that you are a ref in CS because that will tell me sooooo much.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7...ourtvio5ow.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/14vpao0.jpg

these pictures are all that matter

I know you refs see the hand on the back almost everytime down the court and it is hardly ever called. Yes its a foul but not called very often. Wade also pushed terry to the ground and grabbed Howards privates on the way to the basket so Dirl should have never got to put his hand there.
As for the other pic.....its blurry but if you believe his foot is on the ground then you agree that he has established position and it should be a backcourt. if you dont then ill post the video so that you can see that he also takes 3 steps.

I still dont understand why people are talking about the Harris on the arm stuff because it wasnt called on him so it shouldnt be an issue.

This doesnt have anythign to do with this thread but did you know that the FT's were 25-49, the biggest gap in NBA Finals History. Also that they went to the FT line 11 straight times down the court......

BktBallRef Tue Jun 20, 2006 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
You are making an absolute FOOL out of yourself.

The picture shows Dirk's right hand a foot or more BEHIND Wade when Wade is RELEASING the ball. His fingertips are still on the balll, or extremely close to it, for heaven's sakes. You did not state that the contact had already occured. What you said was: "He jerks it away as he hears the whistle." The pic shows that not to be true either, as there has been no whistle and won't be for another second or more. Sorry, but your arrogance doesn't cover up for your being incorrect.

Like I said, don't make things up. There's plenty of issues to legitimately argue about. There may even have been a foul on that play, but your statements were wrong.

And you're being a prick.

When I stated that the foul occurred as he released the ball, that means while he is airborne and in the act of shooting. I didn't know I had to spell it out for you. As he hears the whistle, he jerks his hand away, relaizing that he had it in Wade's back. Even you should be able to see that the hand is clearly in Wade's back. Hell, his jersey is even wrinkle where his hand is pushing him. This picture is a SPLIT SECOND before your wonderful Dallas Morning News photo.

http://i5.tinypic.com/14vpao0.jpg

I know all people from Texas aren't this damn dumb. Buit obviously that idiot Cuban is setting the example for a lot of people.

I'm not going to split hairs with you. Nowitzki obviously fouled Wade, PERIOD, whether you like it or not. Get over it.

ChuckElias Tue Jun 20, 2006 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
you are clueless like many in College Station.... Please tell me that you are a ref in CS because that will tell me sooooo much.

I know you refs see the hand on the back almost everytime down the court and it is hardly ever called. Yes its a foul but not called very often.

ill post the video so that you can see that he also takes 3 steps.

I still dont understand why people are talking about the Harris on the arm stuff because it wasnt called on him so it shouldnt be an issue.

This doesnt have anythign to do with this thread but did you know that the FT's were 25-49, the biggest gap in NBA Finals History.

There's just too much crap in here to shovel through.