The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation - Mavs Heat (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27095-backcourt-violation-mavs-heat.html)

Larks Tue Jun 27, 2006 02:52pm

Hey MC - there are still some skeptics in here that it's really you....how about you post on your blog a "shout out to the refs at the official forum for their warm welcome" or something along those lines and link it back here....

M&M Guy Tue Jun 27, 2006 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcuban
Everyone thinks im all about missed calls. Im not. I get worked up when the politics manifests itself on performance.

The goal is to create an environment where the best people are put in a position to do the best job. Without the politics.

Thats my goal. Pure and simple.

Well, m; can I call you m? :)

And it's not about making money? Hmm...

Maybe politics is exactly what you're thinking during this time of year. And, perhaps, that's what you are thinking during the game and immediately after. What's not really clear to us is what politics you're referring to. Are you saying the only thought in your head as you run out on the floor after a loss is the politics involved in the referee staff? Or is it the politics involved in keeping the Maverick franchise successful and in the news? The one thing that does show is you are <B>not</B> detached and unbiased. I'm not saying you really need to be; after all, you've got real money tied up in a product that needs to be successful to earn more money. I would certainly have some emotional attachment to a team that I own. We've seen you react to calls the same as many 5th grade parents do when their little Johnny gets a questionable call, so that makes us skeptical when you tell us you're not about missed calls. If it's <B>only</B> about improving the product, you would react emotionally the same way to missed shots as missed calls. However, you do react emotionally to missed calls, so either be up front about it and stay out of the referee-improvement business, or become totally unbiased and do your referee improvement campaign in the background. Iow, how can we be sure you're not trying to "stack" the staff to include referees that call a game favorable to your team's make-up, similar to the way political parties try to appoint judges that lean towards their way of thinking?

Adam Tue Jun 27, 2006 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcuban
nice try. I thought you at least had an understanding of the rules.

I will post the rest of the casebook writeup for you.
Player A1 is DRIVING TO THE BASKET for a LAYUP. What is the DECIDING POINT BETWEEN BLOCK OR CHARGE.

A defender must establish his position before the offesnive player starts his upward shooting motion with the ball in order to draw an offensive foul. If a defender SLIDES into position (this is an RA thing.. get it) after the ball starts upward, a block foul should be assessed.

Incase you dont understand, let me explain the rules further to you. The words SLIDES into position is critical. You see, if you are the primary defender, you dont slide into position, you are actively guarding the player with the ball, in which case the RA DOESNT APPLY AT ALL.

So the only time the RA applies is for a 2ndary defender who is SLIDING in to take a charge.

in order to be "legal" and take the charge, the 2ndary defender must have been there BEFORE HE STARTED HIS SHOOTING MOTION. That is what makes him legal Mr i wish i knew as much as a fanboy boy...

you guys are so easy on this forum. i expected more :)

I hate to rain on your parade, but if this rule says nothing about RA, then it's not about RA specifically. It can also be about the primary defender, as it looks to me like the definition of defensive position.

Primary defenders can slide into position if they've fallen out of position. It happens all the time, and it's how you generally get a charge called against a primary defender.

Junker Tue Jun 27, 2006 08:51pm

It must be summer. There's so little to talk about we're arguing about an NBA game. You know, I was watching pro wrestling the other night and the referee clearly counted slower for one guy's pin than the other. That's about the same thing to me:D

Adam Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
It must be summer. There's so little to talk about we're arguing about an NBA game. You know, I was watching pro wrestling the other night and the referee clearly counted slower for one guy's pin than the other. That's about the same thing to me:D

Fanboy. :D

genuinehoosier Thu Jun 29, 2006 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Well, m; can I call you m? :)

And it's not about making money? Hmm...

Maybe politics is exactly what you're thinking during this time of year. And, perhaps, that's what you are thinking during the game and immediately after. What's not really clear to us is what politics you're referring to. Are you saying the only thought in your head as you run out on the floor after a loss is the politics involved in the referee staff? Or is it the politics involved in keeping the Maverick franchise successful and in the news? The one thing that does show is you are <B>not</B> detached and unbiased. I'm not saying you really need to be; after all, you've got real money tied up in a product that needs to be successful to earn more money. I would certainly have some emotional attachment to a team that I own. We've seen you react to calls the same as many 5th grade parents do when their little Johnny gets a questionable call, so that makes us skeptical when you tell us you're not about missed calls. If it's <B>only</B> about improving the product, you would react emotionally the same way to missed shots as missed calls. However, you do react emotionally to missed calls, so either be up front about it and stay out of the referee-improvement business, or become totally unbiased and do your referee improvement campaign in the background. Iow, how can we be sure you're not trying to "stack" the staff to include referees that call a game favorable to your team's make-up, similar to the way political parties try to appoint judges that lean towards their way of thinking?

Why are the insults pounding when the rules are questioned? Those that THINK the NBA is not vital – go out and recruit high school basketball players and see what each and every one of them aspire to do “someday”. … I tend to agree with Mark Cuban, and the fact that he answered some of your insulting, or personal slams says a lot. It does not matter how much money you have, nobody wants to be fined.

At every level of officiating, politics IS involved - you do realize that, don’t you? Think about it – has an assignment on a game for you ever happened because you might brown-nose a little to the big guy? Or if you are the assignor do you go to the ones in your good graces? ~ Smoozing… Who is the first to complain about an awful call by an official? Another official!! It’s all part of the game, baby! POLITICS & GETTING WHERE YOU WANT! Sure you love officiating, but I bet you adore moving up the rankings to make a bigger paycheck too…

The fact is if someone lives and breathes basketball (emotionally, financially, time consuming, and for the love of the game) – they are involved and invested. If a person is passionate about it, they read the rules over-and-over, take stats, look at film, and voice their concern when there is one… At this level of knowledge, why would you discredit, or down-play their intelligence? Everyone does not have to have a whistle stuck in their mouth to understand the rules or “SEE” what is going on. Pretty pompous to think educated and dedicated individuals besides the ones in the uniform don’t count! Remember that no attendance means no games. No game means no work for you! As an official, you need to learn how to take criticism, control a team, coach or the crowd and you get paid for it! Get in the game, stay on top of the game and be a team player…

Plus, NBA Officiating is a dream for many, but only the ones who work extremely hard – above the CALL OF DUTY all the time, should be out there. There should be an effort to merge college and NBA rules, mechanics all in one and I KNOW there are many D1 College Officials that would swallow their whistle to get into the NBA, admit it! The game has moved forward – and so should the Officiating.

Just my simple thoughts.

Dan_ref Thu Jun 29, 2006 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by genuinehoosier

Just my simple thoughts.

I agree.

Your thoughts are simple.

M&M Guy Thu Jun 29, 2006 05:52pm

First off, welcome to the Forum, genuinehoosier.

Wow. Talk about pounding the insults. You do a pretty good job yourself. Must be the "takes one to know one" philosophy. So, um, which insults and personal slams are you talking about? Are you a referee? What levels do you work?

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 29, 2006 05:54pm

Let me know when I'm needed.....:D

M&M Guy Thu Jun 29, 2006 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Let me know when I'm needed.....:D

Just be on call... :D

Dan_ref Thu Jun 29, 2006 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Just be on call... :D

Which means he should keep the pager in his other hand when he climbs up that tree.

Adam Fri Jun 30, 2006 02:15pm

I doubt if he's really even a hoosier.

genuinehoosier Fri Jun 30, 2006 06:50pm

My thoughts were as simple as your innuendo’s and posted pictures of babies crying. M&M, I replied off your quotes because that was the last message I had read…but I did gather the same gests from some of your buddies that think you need some kind of support. I’m sure you can hold your own, but thanks for the pager joke. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Jurassic Referee and BktBallRef,

I hope that the two of you don't call basketball games. You obviously have no concept of how to communicate objectively with other people.

I have to agree…… Hopefully you will always support each other as fellow-officials. Best to rational your discussions by agreeing to disagree, without bashing each other or the crowd. I’ll be watching to see what happens with your careers, especially the ones that so hastily double up your fists. I hope you are as assertive on the court and alert with your response time and actions at your messages! I look forward to reviewing your work.

This forum is great for information - but I'm done with this thread. And Snaqwells, I am a Hoosier and very proud of it.

Best wishes,

BktBallRef Fri Jun 30, 2006 07:50pm

Quote:

I have to agree…… Hopefully you will always support each other as fellow-officials. Best to rational your discussions by agreeing to disagree, without bashing each other or the crowd. I’ll be watching to see what happens with your careers, especially the ones that so hastily double up your fists. I hope you are as assertive on the court and alert with your response time and actions at your messages! I look forward to reviewing your work.

You're going to follow my career? LOL! That should be interesting. You have about 20 years to catch on. Let me know when you want to start!:rolleyes:

Jurassic Referee Fri Jun 30, 2006 07:57pm

Quote:

I’m sure you can hold your own. . .

I'm quite sure that you can hold your own too.....and do so quite often.

Lah me, will these fanboys ever give up?