The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Opening tip- a1 and b1 tap with a1 tipping toward it's own basket. WITH NO TEAM CONTROL, b2 and a2 tie each other up. I call jump ball and proceed to rejump in the circle with the original two jumpers. Coach for team b (whose kid b2 has a considerable height advantage over a2) wants the jump between a2 and b2. I told him no that we don't have specific jump balls between players anymore and anyone can jump when we have an actual jump ball. The coach argued that the two players that tied each other up must jump just like the old days. I told him to get into the 90s and we don't do that anymore. Was I correct? I believe I was- just looking for some feedback.

------------------
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

"Opening tip- a1 and b1 tap with a1 tipping toward it's own basket. WITH NO TEAM CONTROL, b2 and a2 tie each other up. I call jump ball and proceed to rejump in the circle with the original two jumpers. Coach for team b (whose kid b2 has a considerable height advantage over a2) wants the jump between a2 and b2. I told him no that we don't have specific jump balls between players anymore and anyone can jump when we have an actual jump ball. The coach argued that the two players that tied each other up must jump just like the old days. I told him to get into the 90s and we don't do that anymore. Was I correct? I believe I was- just looking for some feedback."
------------------
Actually, the proper call is for the two players who tied it up, A2 & B2, to rejump in the center restraining circle regardless of where the held ball occurred. See p. 41 of the casebook--"Jump Ball To Start Game" (6.3.1C.Play), there are some other interesting situations to be aware of!
--TGR
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Coach was right: Case 6.3.1C.

Similarly, had A2 and B2 simultaneously touched the ball before if goes OOB, committed a double personal foul, or committed a double technical foul before the AP procedure has been established, then A2 & B2 would jump from the center restraining circle...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thank you gentlemen, I stand corrected!!