The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I though I had seen it all (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/26736-i-though-i-had-seen-all.html)

Jurassic Referee Fri May 26, 2006 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Looking back over the thread....for some reason, i don't find where I said that.

Penalize it however you want to, I'm sure you can find some rule to justify it. But by rule, it's not a fight.

I know you didn't say that.....that's why I asked the question.

What would you do?

JRutledge Fri May 26, 2006 08:59pm

This is one of these classic "I believe this.........you believe that..." conversations.

This is an off-season tournament and at least where I live (I know Rocky hates when I say this :D) there would be nothing anyone could do about this situation except the tournament director. I have been around when officials have made very strict rules interpretations only to see the TD take over and do what they feel is best. This is also why I give a lot of Ts during the summer either. But that is a story for another day.

Yes, you could T up everyone, but you could be overruled by someone that feels this is not a big deal. All you can do is convince the people this is the rule or this is the best thing. If they choose to not buy your point of view, there is not a lot you can do about it. Of course you could complain and try to stand on the NF rulebook, but it is only go to go so far if forces want their way. Remember you are the hired help, you do likely are not given the same power as a regular season game. You have a few choices to make and find out if you can live with them. After all it is summer ball, not everyone gives a damn.

Peace

BktBallRef Fri May 26, 2006 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I know you didn't say that.....that's why I asked the question.

What would you do?

What I would not do is penalize the team because two of their teammates got into. I'm sure I would have a discussion with the coach to learn the particulars and hope that he has already taken care if the situation. As long as he's taking some action, I would be inclined to allow him to handle it.

As I said, if you choose to assess penalties, you can certain rationalize it. But that type of reaching doesn't usually go over well here.

crazy voyager Sat May 27, 2006 10:25am

I know evrybody loves Fiba here :p so I want you to answer this question thinking fiba rules xD

Now for the question, I've been taught that you can never penalise anyone if two players on the same team fights. Is this correct? And what do you do if two players on the same team fight
a) in the bencharea during play
b) during halftime
c) on the court (during play)

BktBallRef Sat May 27, 2006 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy voyager
And what do you do if two players on the same team fight?

Maybe I'm the one that's crazy but isn't that what this entire thread is about? :confused:

There is no one answer voyager, only a lot of opinions.