Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Stopping fanboys

To the moderators,

I know this is a public forum, but is there a way we could limit the number of "fanboys" that come out? Perhaps by changing the registration system?

I'm not web savvy enough to offer concrete suggestions, but anyone else out there have any ideas?

The obvious times we see them come out are the NCAA championships and NBA playoffs, so maybe restrict access to members then? Just a thought.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...hope to see the 2nd half - life is tough when you don't have cable!
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

How are people going to want to join the site?

Just ignore the traffic and get over it.

Peace
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not REALLY upset by them, but I do dislike how some of our members trash them, which then makes US look bad when it shouldn't. I'd like to protect our image and reducing the number of people who aren't posting officiating questions might help.

Just my two cents again...that makes it 4 cents so far for this post! I might hit a dime at this rate.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
I'm not REALLY upset by them, but I do dislike how some of our members trash them, which then makes US look bad when it shouldn't. I'd like to protect our image and reducing the number of people who aren't posting officiating questions might help.

Just my two cents again...that makes it 4 cents so far for this post! I might hit a dime at this rate.
This is the normal cycle of things. The same thing happens on other boards on this website during the post season or major events. You are always going to have some guy that finds this site through Google and they come here and rip the officials or umpires based on what happens in the post season. Most officials I know will never come to a site like this. So if some clown wants to lump everyone into a box based on what a few people say to them that is fine with me. I have bigger problems than what some fan thinks from a far.

Peace
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

I would suggest that a little blurb and box checking screen be added to the member registration process. The person registering should clearly see something that says this is a site for officials or those interested in discussing officiating such as coaches, players, and parents seeking knowledge of the rules of the game. A little check the box which says: 1. I am an official, 2. I am a ..., etc. that the person has to check before registering would serve to discourage the fanboys.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I would suggest that a little blurb and box checking screen be added to the member registration process. The person registering should clearly see something that says this is a site for officials or those interested in discussing officiating such as coaches, players, and parents seeking knowledge of the rules of the game. A little check the box which says: 1. I am an official, 2. I am a ..., etc. that the person has to check before registering would serve to discourage the fanboys.
Let's see...having to check a box when registering? Yep, that would stop me.

Nobody would ever lie when entering information in a internet registration form...nah...that would NEVER happen.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But if they have a selection which will ask what association they officiate for or if they have a NASO or IAABO etc. memebership number that will limit the number of fanboys. I know that IAABO doesn't have a member # it does have a board # , but NASO does have a member #

Just my one cent...
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Most officials I know will never come to a site like this.
Why? because it is an open forum?
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:00pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

At least that way you can identify the fanboy from the arrogant know-it-all. I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just keep it to yourself next time. j/k

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
At least that way you can identify the fanboy from the arrogant know-it-all. I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just keep it to yourself next time. j/k
I will fight to the death your right to just STFU.

Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not saying that my idea would prevent anyone from actually registering. Of course, they could just make up answers to the registration questions. However, the purpose is to make the process a little more laborious and annoying. So that those who really don't care, just don't bother to complete the process. The purpose is just to discourage.

The argument is similar to those who state that registering to vote in this country is too burdensome and that is why many don't do so.
I don't believe that argument myself, but if the fanboys are lazy and just looking for a quick sound off, then they may well be turned off by having to jump through a few hoops before they get to write their drivel.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

DRIBBLE _ let them play

I find it quite amusing when fanboys come to the site and try and put officials down. For those officials that like to fight back, they get the chance that they normally wouldn't get when some "know-it-all" comes in here and berates officials for whatever reason.

The statement that you don't like the way some officials deal with fanboys on this site therefore we should limit fanboys opportunities to come here is ridiculous. It would be more appropriate to lock out an official from a specific thread. You should be asking the officials that do this to be more professional when dealing with fans. However, if someone comes in looking for a fight, then they get what they deserve. Fans have a built in bias and are looking to get a rise out of anyone that doesn't see it their way.

Treat it like you are working a game, if you don't like it, ignore it. If it crosses a line, get administration to handle it. At least let your partner handle their business first.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Why? because it is an open forum?
No one here has much credibility in their world of officiating.

Peace
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
No one here has much credibility in their world of officiating.
I am sorry you are disgruntled, I will remember not to ask you questions of this kind.
Closed Thread