The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb NCAA Proposal Changes (Complete list)

Here is the complete list of NCAA Proposal changes.

Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Proposal for 2006-07

Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Proposals for 2006-07

The following rules-change proposals have been approved by the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Committees. The proposals must be reviewed and approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on May 30 before being incorporated into next year’s rules. The page references are from the 2005 Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Book.

New Equipment Requirement. (Rule 1-17, page 34)—Starting with the 2010 season, Division II and III institutions will be required to have a game clock with a 10th of a second display, a red light or LED lights and shot clocks mounted on the back board. Rationale: It is important that Division II and III are using available technology in the game.

LED Lights. (Rule 1-18, page 35)—LED lights may be used on the shot clock, but the lights shall only be activated for a shot-clock violation. Rationale: LED lights have been incorporated into the shot clock and can be beneficial to the officials, when available. Early usage has indicated that the lights can also be connected to the game clock and horn. This is not legal.

Intentionally Kicked Ball. (Rule 2-14.6.f,2-14.7.b, page 53)—When an intentionally kicked ball occurs with 14 seconds or less, set the shot clock to 15 seconds. When an intentionally kicked ball occurs with 15 seconds or more the clock shall remain as is. Rationale: This simplifies a rule that was made last year.

Undergarments. (Rule 3-4.14, page 63)—Compression pants may not extend below the game pants. Shirt sleeves may not extend below the elbow. Rationale: This will eliminate the use of undergarments that extend to the ankle and long sleeves.

Arm Sleeves. (Rule 3-5.7, page 65)—Arm sleeves are illegal unless worn for medical purposes. Rationale: Sleeves are unnecessary and inappropriate equipment without permission from a trainer or physician.

Wristbands and Headbands (Rule 3-5.15, 3-5.16, page 64)—Wristbands and headbands must be either the dominant color of the game jersey or white. The color shall be uniform for the entire team. Rationale: This eliminates the problem of finding headbands the same as the dominant color of the game jersey and requires team uniformity.

Point of Interruption. (Rule 4-51.1.a, page 85)—The ball will be returned to play at the point of interruption after double fouls and simultaneous personal fouls. Rationale: This creates consistency in where the ball will be returned to play after double fouls and simultaneous fouls.

Use of Timeouts. (Rule 5-10.22, page 104)—During games that do not have media present, a 75-second timeout is charged when an appeal for a correctable error is not correctable. When a 75-second timeout is not available, a 30-second timeout shall be used. Rationale: This clarifies the situation.

Timeout Request (Rule 5-10.1.a, page 99)—A timeout shall not be recognized when an airborne player’s momentum carries him/her either out-of-bounds or into the backcourt. Rationale: Often the player has already committed a violation before the timeout is granted. This play is happening too frequently in the game today.

Screener Position. (Rule 10-22, page 150)—The normal stance of a screener shall be approximately shoulder width. Rationale: This incorporates a long-time established interpretation into the text of the rules.

Publication Note: The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Illustrated Book will no longer be published. The visual diagrams will be incorporated online

Men’s Only Proposals

Substitution. (Rule 3-4.11, page 59)—When a player is required to be replaced for disqualification, injury or blood, all substitutes who have legally reported into the game shall be allowed to enter. Rationale: Allowing the other substitutes to enter the game would not cause a delay.

Experimental Rules. The men will experiment with eliminating the first lane space nearest the basket on each side of the lane and using the present, second, third and fourth lane spaces on each side of the lane.

Points of Emphasis. Rough play and palming will remain as points of emphasis for the 2006-07 season. The committee will also emphasize proper adjudication of the loose-ball pile-ups that occur during the game, including calling personal fouls and ensuring the possession of the ball before granting a timeout.

Women’s Only Proposals

Penalty for Non-Compliance of Equipment Rule. (Rule 1-17, page 34)—An indirect technical foul will be assessed to the Division I home team at the beginning of each game when a game clock with a 10th of a second display, a red light or LED lights and shot clocks mounted on the backboard are not available. Rationale: The rule has been in place for several years without an enforcement clause. This is meant to force institutions to become compliant.

Substitutions. (Rule 5-10.23.a, page 104)—Require a bleeding player or a player who has lost or irritated contact to be substituted if it cannot be resolved within 20 seconds. Rationale: This will treat bleeding players and players with irritated contacts the same for the first time.

Experimental Rules. The women will experiment with the three-point line extended to 20 feet, 6 inches and the 10-second backcourt rule.

Points of Emphasis. Displacement and sportsmanship will remain as points of emphasis for the 2006-07 season.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think these revisions are the best in years. Usually I think one or two are slightly mundane, but these will clear up the game.

I'm interested in seeing how the men's experimental rule about the elimination of the lower block will pan out. I'd like to see the NCAA publish rebounding stats comparing this past year with next year for justification purposes if they intent to make this rule permanent.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Arm Sleeves. (Rule 3-5.7, page 65)—Arm sleeves are illegal unless worn for medical purposes. Rationale: Sleeves are unnecessary and inappropriate equipment without permission from a trainer or physician.

So a trainer can indicate that a player needs to wear arm sleeves for medical reasons. I find this strange. A trainer may be influenced more than an MD. What is the thinking here?
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
It will be interesting to see how many of these are adopted and how many might trickle into the HS rules. I never ever saw an arm sleeve in 40 years of playing, watching or officiating basketball that was a 'medical requirement'. In fact I never saw them at all in HS ball until this past season. If the NCAA or Fed wants to get rid of them because they are adornments, just say so and ban them outright.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
It will be interesting to see how many of these are adopted and how many might trickle into the HS rules. I never ever saw an arm sleeve in 40 years of playing, watching or officiating basketball that was a 'medical requirement'. In fact I never saw them at all in HS ball until this past season. If the NCAA or Fed wants to get rid of them because they are adornments, just say so and ban them outright.
I have seen arm sleeves used by guys who either in a previous game or in the same game have gotten terrible burns from the floor, sometimes bleeding. This enables them to come back. But yes they should only be for cases like this. This may be logic also as to why trainers would be able to allow the use of these.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 03:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
I have seen arm sleeves used by guys who either in a previous game or in the same game have gotten terrible burns from the floor, sometimes bleeding. This enables them to come back. But yes they should only be for cases like this. This may be logic also as to why trainers would be able to allow the use of these.
I know this is old school, but when we got floorburns, we got up and resumed playing. There are also these things called 'Band-Aids.'