The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to kgoodma1
Situation--team A is bringing the ball up court after a team B basket through a full-court press. A1 attempts to pass the ball to a teammate in A's frontcourt. While the ball is in flight near the division line, B1 bats it back into A's backcourt. I continue my 10-second count and bang team A with a violation. Two questions arise:
1) If the ball breaks the plane of the division line, does the 10-second count stop? or
2) Does the ball need to be POSSESSED across the division line to stop the count.

After I whistled the violation, my partner said if the ball crossed half-court there is no violation. I covered myself by saying the defender reached across half court to hit the ball, but I believe that even if he hadn't, since it wasn't possessed in the frontcourt, the count continues. Comments???
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

I beleive you made the proper call. The offense has to be in control. I have had our interpreter explain that even with the ball in flight on its way to a team mate, if your 10 seconds are up it's a violation.
However, I also have heard that if the balls "hits" the front court it is considered okay and no violation occurs. Anyone else have some input?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

It depends if the Team B player was located in the frontcourt or the backcourt.

"A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was in contact with a player or the court" (4-4-3) Thus, after A1 released the ball towards the frontcourt, you were correct in continuing your 10-second count since the ball had backcourt status.

B1's touching of the ball gave the ball the same status as B1. If in the backcourt, continue the count. If in the frontcourt, terminate your count and start a new one if the ball re-obtains backcourt status.

Good job recognizing that B1's batting did not end team control for Team A...
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

To answer this question you must understand Ball Location. Rule 4 Section 4 Article 2 states: A ball which is in contact with a player is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt. 4.4.3 states: A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court. In your case if B1 had player location in the front court, even if he reached over to the backcourt, the 10 count ended once he touched the ball. Art N is correct an airborne pass breaking the plane of the division line would not end your 10 count. It would however end if the ball touched the floor in the front court. Casebook 9.8A and B cover this.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

To answer this question you must understand Ball Location. Rule 4 Section 4 Article 2 states: A ball which is in contact with a player is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt. 4.4.3 states: A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court. In your case if B1 had player location in the front court, even if he reached over to the backcourt, the 10 count ended once he touched the ball. Art N is correct an airborne pass breaking the plane of the division line would not end your 10 count. It would however end if the ball touched the floor in the front court. Casebook 9.8A and B cover this.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Lightbulb

Gentlemen, well done on your replies. We must remember that froncourt status does NOT need to be POSSESSED in the frontcourt to terminate a 10 second count. There is a play in the case book where b1 reaches across the division line and contacts a ball being dribbled by a1 in the backcourt. The 10 second count restarts because b1 had frontcourt status. Even though the ball never was possessed by anyone in the frontcourt. Your 10 second count should continue until the ball strikes the floor or a player in the frontcourt. Good job on maintaining your count!!