The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 04:49pm
9 times
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 777
Talking

Anyone got a report from camp this year???

I think we would all love to hear about it.
__________________
Get it right!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 95
Just got back from the referee school at Illinois College last week. It was an outstanding basketball learning experience for the 2nd year in a row. Focusing on 3 person women's mechanics at the collegiate level, the camp was everything a referee could ask for at a minimal($200)price.
Outstanding clinicians, quality competition, enjoyable teaching atmosphere, and the chance to work for clinicians that are also assignors of conferences that I want to work in. Anyone interested in working women's basketball at the collegiate level would benefit in any number of ways by attending this excellent camp. You can't help being a better official after attending. I highly recommend the referee school!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 06:15pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Anyone got a report from camp this year???

I think we would all love to hear about it.
stripes,
Dan_ref had a good camp.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Anyone got a report from camp this year???

I think we would all love to hear about it.
stripes,
Dan_ref had a good camp.
mick
Yes I did. I recently attended a 3 person college camp. I
work most of my games 2 man, and I want to publicly
thank Tony (BktBallRef) for answering some really dumb
questions for me about the system. With his help I was
able to go in with a lot of confidence, and we all know
that confidence is a big part of the package. I met some
old friends, made some new ones and made some good contacts.
Here's what I learned:

1. Hustle. For example, never let a made free throw hit
the floor if the ball remains dead.

2. If you are doing mens mechanics make sure you have
no women's mechanics in your game, and vice versa. I
was doing men's and was told to take a step off the
sideline at C because "you're looking like a women's
official".

3. Missed rotations followed by a fast break happen.
L to new T has got to recognize this and be able to
adjust.

4. Even the smallest thing gets noticed. I tend to
raise my open hand (3 points, stop clock, hand up to chop
in time) with my fingers slightly opened. Got dinged
for that. "Be relaxed, just don't look it" was how Mick
put it.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Yes I did. I recently attended a 3 person college camp. I
work most of my games 2 man, and I want to publicly
thank Tony (BktBallRef) for answering some really dumb
questions for me about the system. With his help I was
able to go in with a lot of confidence, and we all know
that confidence is a big part of the package.
Thanks but they weren't dumb questions at all. Going from being very comfortable with 2 man to working a camp that's all 3 man is no easy trick. Sometimes our unwillingness to say "I don't know but I'm afraid to ask," is our greatest weakness. But it was rewarding to hear that some of the very things that I suggested were directly in line with what was used in the camp. And even moreso, it was rewarding to know that I helped a fellow official!
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 07:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,010
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
Just got back from the referee school at Illinois College last week. It was an outstanding basketball learning experience for the 2nd year in a row. Focusing on 3 person women's mechanics at the collegiate level, the camp was everything a referee could ask for at a minimal($200)price.
Outstanding clinicians, quality competition, enjoyable teaching atmosphere, and the chance to work for clinicians that are also assignors of conferences that I want to work in. Anyone interested in working women's basketball at the collegiate level would benefit in any number of ways by attending this excellent camp. You can't help being a better official after attending. I highly recommend the referee school!!!
I also attended this camp and wrote an article about it for this site. As soon as it gets reviewed it should be posted.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jul 22, 2001, 07:20pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Thumbs up Good read Bob.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
[QUOTE
I also attended this camp and wrote an article about it for this site. As soon as it gets reviewed it should be posted.
Bob,
Those articles were interesting and well written.
Thanks.
mick
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1