The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Unhappy

I wonder if any of my fellow officials can identify with what I am going through right now. I have a real big district game this week- (Two teams in the same district and also both ranked in the top 25 in state)- and I personally feel very uneasy with the selection of my co-official. Not that he isn't a great guy and has good judgement, but the speed and pressure of this particular game may be something he hasn't had to deal with yet. I plan to do a very extensive pre-game, and am going to try and make him relax, and not seem nervous myself, but I am going to "widen my primary" to ensure that the game gets called properly. Is this a bad thing? I feel that I can save face for us both by stepping in strong if he misses anything big. I appreciate feedback from anyone that knows what I'm going through.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn on 01-11-2000 06:32 AM
I plan to do a very extensive pre-game, and am going to try and make him relax, and not seem nervous myself, but I am going to "widen my primary" to ensure that the game gets called properly.

Man I was with you with the pre-game, the relaxing, but you lost me with the "widen the primary". Please don't.

You can best help your partner by calling the best game you can, the way we're supposed to. Not by changing how you call the game. Give your partner a chance, he will probably step up and surprise you.

Several years ago, my first year as a varsity official. The two best B-level schools in the state (rated #1 & #2), (Darrington & Mossyrock for you Washington State people), decided that they wanted to play. They put together a quick game. The assignor had virtually zero available officials. He shuffled some people around, and it just ended up that he and I worked the game.

We had a lengthy pre-game on the drive up there. Ended up being a one-point game, probably still the best game I've ever called.

Important thing is that we had the pre-game, and we called the way we were supposed to. And we ended up having a great game.

------------------
Brian Johnson

[This message has been edited by PublicBJ (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

Jeremy,
PublicBJ has nothing but good advise on your game. Your partner has to get the chance sometime, just like you did. You need to stick with YOUR game and if he misses an Elephant, call it just like you would had you called a 100 games together.
If he isn't ready, the assignor will hear plenty, hey what's wrong with some new BLOOD!

------------------
Don
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Every new official must be annointed with a 'Big Game' in order to learn what a big game is like. As an expierienced official your partner is looking to you for stability, court presence and as a calming influence on him. The only thing that you should do is to "widen" your pre-game and cover things in depth. Ask for and insist on his participation during pre-game and specifically cover court mechanics, positioning and consistancy. Don't become 'holier than thou' and look upon him as a lesser, at least for this game, treat him as an equal talk with him and provide input at half time as well as after the game. Input (constructive critiscism) whether it be good, bad or indifferent is a necessity for his continued learning expierience.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Smile

Thank you all for the replies, I go into this game relaxed and much more at ease!!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Just a comment to all you veterans who have to work with us less experienced officials. I think a thorough pregame emphasizing communication, eye contact, things to look for is great and essential. However, be carefuls with "constructive criticism". Never, Never say anything to your junior partner that will cause him to focus on himself/herself and not the game. You will regret it. Nuf said!!