The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Well since C is responsible for last second shot the basket should count and A should win.

NCAA women's requires that in a game this close the officials are to meet at the center circle at the end of the game to insure that the score is correct BEFORE leaving the floor.

If they didn't do that shame shame shame. If they did then T should give up the call to C.

So how'd I do?

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

[This message has been edited by Ron Pilo (edited January 12, 2000).]
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Actually Ron, 'C' is not automatically responsible for last second shot. The proper mechanic is the official opposite the table is responsible, unless the officials confer and decide to 'give it up' to another partner.

As for who won, only the crew can tell. The scorer in this case should adimantly try to get the attention of the officials to clarify. I would say, that someone should go to the dressing room and get the correct answer from the crew.

This is certainly a blunder that could be avoided with proper communication between crew members and by that crew keeping concentration and focus all the way throught the end of this close game. I cannot not condemn the crew for the mistake because we all have experienced moments in close games where we want to 'get the heck out of there'. I just hope their supervisor can be as forgiving.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Question

Team A is down by one point. At the buzzer, A1 puts up a shot and it goes in. Center official counts the bucket and the trail waves it off. Then they bolt for the dressing room leaving the visual confines of the court. Before you jump into a tyrade about you should have a conference and figure out what happened before leaving. This actually happened in an NCAA game.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 03:32pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Just to clear things up before people start arguing - you are both right...

NCAA Men's Mechanic: Table Opposite has the last second shot

NCAA Women's Mechanic: Center has the last second shot

Of course, either can "give it up" for some reason if they have to (usually this isn't a problem with 3 officials though).
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, for the sake of argument, this was a NCAA Men's game. I don't know who was opposite the table. The problem was one official signaled good, the other no good. Both teams were happy until they realized the confussion. That is when they had to call Reggie Minton, chairmen of the NCAA men's rules committee about it. That is who I heard about this game from. We held our association meeting this week at the Air Force Academy where he is the head coach.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited January 12, 2000).]
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

So, who won?
If it was a two then the score should still be tied and they need to play an extra period.

If it was a three then then the game is over.

What was the result? I read the papers quite carefully and also access two or three sports line web pages here in Las Vegas and saw nothing about this. Usually if there is a question on the final score, which might affect the betting line, there is a story.:0

Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 01-12-2000 03:00 PM
So, who won?
If it was a two then the score should still be tied and they need to play an extra period.

If it was a three then then the game is over.

What was the result? I read the papers quite carefully and also access two or three sports line web pages here in Las Vegas and saw nothing about this. Usually if there is a question on the final score, which might affect the betting line, there is a story.:0

The difference was one point so any shot would do. I think I heard Reggie mumble something about the score standing as he was in a hurry to get to his team. So my guess is they did not count the basket.

Remember NCAA covers more than just division 1. This could have been a Div 2 or Div 3 game.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Apologies to Ron. I was not aware of the NCAA women's mechanic of center having all last second shots. Thanks for clarification.

Let's all communicate on the floor, and have courage so this unfortunate incident will not happen to us.

Let this be a lesson......and remember, we all learn more from misfortune than from fortune.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Buckley,
No apologies necessary my friend.

Like on the floor, we just need to communicate in THIS formum as well.

------------------
Ron

Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Buckley,
No apologies necessary my friend.

Like on the floor, we just need to communicate in THIS formum as well.

------------------
Ron

Old Thu Jan 13, 2000, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Buckley on 01-12-2000 03:16 PM
Apologies to Ron. I was not aware of the NCAA women's mechanic of center having all last second shots. Thanks for clarification.

Let's all communicate on the floor, and have courage so this unfortunate incident will not happen to us.

Let this be a lesson......and remember, we all learn more from misfortune than from fortune.

I constantly wonder why there are so many sets of "official" mechanics. There should be only one set for 2 officials and one set for 3-officials from grade school through college. There are many people that work HS and college (mens and/or womens). It can't be good to have to shift mechanics from night to night. There is also no reason why what works for mens college will not work for womens college or hs.

I think the same should generally apply to the rules as well. They are largely the same. I think they should merge the 3 rules book and 2 mechanics books to create "national ameteur rules" book and corresponding mechanics book.

Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

That would be nice, but until some egos are checked and they can form one committee, it will never happen.