The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grey shirts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25997-grey-shirts.html)

Ohioref3 Sun Apr 09, 2006 06:26am

Grey shirts

Do any states or associations wear the grey with black pinstripes in their state or local associations. I am on my basketball board and I have to make a presentation on the grey shirts to our local school district coaches. Is their positive feedback on the shirts? Negative feedback on the shirts? What current states are wearing them. I think they look great and feel good and need as much info from different areas around the country that use them.

ChuckElias Sun Apr 09, 2006 08:13am

Check out a couple old threads:

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=19145

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=19446

Great googly-moogly, I love having the search function back!!!

BktBallRef Sun Apr 09, 2006 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Great googly-moogly, I love having the search function back!!!

Yeah, we're all REAL impressed! :D

JRutledge Sun Apr 09, 2006 09:32am

I wear the gray shirts for one college assignor that I regularly work with and have been doing so for 2 years now. There is another college assignor that I work mostly to fill in for that this past year allowed his officials to wear the gray shirts. This is only allowed at the JUCO level and no other levels that I am associated with or know of. Local associations do not play a role in what we wear or do not wear. Only our state office for HS has that kind of say or a college conference you might work for can require the officials to work something.

Peace

missinglink Sun Apr 09, 2006 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohioref3
Do any states or associations wear the grey with black pinstripes in their state or local associations. I am on my basketball board and I have to make a presentation on the grey shirts to our local school district coaches. Is their positive feedback on the shirts? Negative feedback on the shirts? What current states are wearing them. I think they look great and feel good and need as much info from different areas around the country that use them.

and in Montana GS have been in use for three years and mandatory 2007-08. They are more comfortable, wash and hang dry better, but less durable, fabric is prone to pucker when sewing patches and emblems in place, traditional white on black patches don't look good on the grey background. Are we less visible to the crowd or players? Absolutely....except for those rare occasions when a call is made that a fan, player, or coach doesn't like. Me, I like tradition and I am sorry we went the grey way. In five years some middle aged dad in the stands is going to bellow "you blind zebra" and his 8 year old is going to be: "duh, Dad let me tell you about zebras......".

26 Year Gap Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:51am

Vermont

We have used the greys as approved alternate jerseys for 3 years. I like them. Some complain about them showing sweat, but a little under armour solves that problem. NH also uses them as an alternate, but it seems to have a dominance. Ditto Maine....if you look at photo sections from their 5 boards, it is very hard to see one with a zebra.

zebraman Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:05pm

Washington State HS games: Cliff Keen gray shirts approved for the past 2 seasons. Love em'. More comfortable than stripes, look better than stripes. Lots of comments from officials, coaches and fans that they look much better.

Z

MajorCord Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
Washington State HS games: Cliff Keen gray shirts approved for the past 2 seasons. Love em'. More comfortable than stripes, look better than stripes. Lots of comments from officials, coaches and fans that they look much better.

Z

So, will you be changing your name to "grayman"? :p

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Apr 09, 2006 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohioref3

I don't know why you would be making a presentation to the coaches in your area. The OhioHSAA is the organization the tells us what we can and cannot wear on Ohio.

MTD, Sr.

tjones1 Sun Apr 09, 2006 03:30pm

I've only wore my once for a 7th/8th game this year. It was a nice change. I don't remember who posted the link to the survey on the NFHS's site for this year, but if I remember correctly, one of the questions was if the grey should be an alternate shirt for us to wear. I think it would be a good addition, jmo.

JRutledge Sun Apr 09, 2006 05:04pm

When are we going to know when the new rules take effect? Is the time around May? I know the NF has this up as an issue. Maybe they will allow these shirts to be worn.

Peace

blindzebra Sun Apr 09, 2006 05:08pm

I hate the grey shirts, I have yet to see an upside to them and I'm in a state that wore them for several years and went back to the stripes.

26 Year Gap Sun Apr 09, 2006 05:18pm

It is my understanding from my interpreter, who is on the rules committee is that the recomendations were to have been made this weekend and they are adopted [or not] later in the month.

Junker Sun Apr 09, 2006 06:22pm

The Iowa JUCO league wears grey. Personally I don't like them. I prefer the old stripes.

Bad Zebra Sun Apr 09, 2006 09:17pm

Our local association here in Fla. went to the greys two seasons ago with the blessing of our state Assn. I have yet to find anyone who can give me a good reason as to why we changed. The stripes are almost universally recognized regardless of the sport. Why the heck change 'em? Are they broke? Do they evoke a negative mental reaction in players? As far as comfort/wear? It's the same material...they wear the same...cliff keen mesh stripes feel exactly like the cliff keen mesh greys. I personally feel this was just something to change for the sake of changing. We'll probably be back in stripes in the next five years or less. Never has made any sense to me.