The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

Here's what happened step by step:
1. My partner tosses ball (to start game)
2. White non-jumper moves from his back court and runs towards his basket.
3. Ball is tapped out of bounds by white jumper.
4. I stand there like a dork trying to think uuuuhhhh, then throw up my thumbs for a re-jump, at the same time my partner tweets
5. My partner tweets, gives the ball to blue, points the possesion arrow towards white for next time.

Lets' do multiple choice
A. My partner was right.
B. I, the slow thinker would have been right in ruling a re-jump since white tapped it directly OOB anyway.
C. After being over ruled by my partner, I would have been correct in thinking that the next jump ball should have gone to blue also.
D. I am thirsty now so I am going to take a trip to the fridge. MMM Kool-aid sounds yummy.
F. None of the above.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 07:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes130
4. I stand there like a dork trying to think uuuuhhhh, then throw up my thumbs for a re-jump, at the same time my partner tweets
5. My partner tweets, gives the ball to blue, points the possesion arrow towards white for next time.

Lets' do multiple choice
A. My partner was right.
B. I, the slow thinker would have been right in ruling a re-jump since white tapped it directly OOB anyway.
C. After being over ruled by my partner, I would have been correct in thinking that the next jump ball should have gone to blue also.
D. I am thirsty now so I am going to take a trip to the fridge. MMM Kool-aid sounds yummy.
F. None of the above.
2. White non-jumper moves from his back court and runs towards his basket. This is okay if he didn't start on the circle
3. Ball is tapped out of bounds by white jumper. Violation white
4. I stand there like a dork trying to think uuuuhhhh, then throw up my thumbs for a re-jump, at the same time my partner tweets It happens.
5. My partner tweets, gives the ball to blue, points the possesion arrow towards white for next time. That works. "Thank you, partner."
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes130

Lets' do multiple choice
A. My partner was right.
F. None of the above.
A. Yes, your partner was right. White non-jumper did not violate.
B. That's a violation. There is no re-jump. 6-3-3b
C. Wrong. The arrow is pointed to White's basket. Blue only gets the ball and the arrow when White's jumper catches the toss.
D. Yes, it sounds like you need to lay off the hard stuff!
E. What happened to E?
F. Doesn't apply.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
2. White non-jumper moves from his back court and runs towards his basket. This is okay if he didn't start on the circle
Even if he started on the circle, this is okay. Only the jumper can't leave, and since the jumper tapped it out of bounds, I don't think he was the one to leave.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I've always found 6-4-2a and 6-4-5a to be a contradiction. 6-4-2a states that a non-jumper cannot enter the center circle until the ball is tossed. But 6-4-5a states that non-jumpers can't break the plane of the center circle with his/her foot until the toss is touched by one or both jumpers.

So, does that mean that the non-jumpers can enter the circle after the toss and before it's touched as long as they enter head and hands first?

It would seem that if 6-4-5a is the requirement, then 6-4-2a doesn't even need to be in the book.

Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:49am
In Memoriam

oops!

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Even if he started on the circle, this is okay. Only the jumper can't leave, and since the jumper tapped it out of bounds, I don't think he was the one to leave.
Bob,
I was thinking, or not (), you had to hold within three feet deep. ...Senior moment. (I'm using that term more often. Very scary)
I think I see now that you can move out, but not move in.
Thanks. 6-4-5 Shoulda known better.
mick

Shucks we had a play like that a hundred years ago where one of our guys rolled on the toss and got the ball tipped to him from our jumper to one of the guys that remained on the circle. We went up 2-0 a lot!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I've always found 6-4-2a and 6-4-5a to be a contradiction. 6-4-2a states that a non-jumper cannot enter the center circle until the ball is tossed. But 6-4-5a states that non-jumpers can't break the plane of the center circle with his/her foot until the toss is touched by one or both jumpers.

So, does that mean that the non-jumpers can enter the circle after the toss and before it's touched as long as they enter head and hands first?

It would seem that if 6-4-5a is the requirement, then 6-4-2a doesn't even need to be in the book.

6.4.2a places a restriction on "moving onto" the circle .... 6.4.5a places a restriction on "entering" the circle. The first restriction ends when the ball is tossed, the latter restriction ends when the ball is touched.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Always somebody that wants to ruin my fun!

Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

What I find disturbing is that I can think of several officials who will call a violation if any non-jumper
moves - even if it is "legal" (moving off of the circle or moving when not within three feet of the circle).

Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Its not surprising that something we only do once a game (90% of the time) we manage to screw up so many times.
this is a good thing to go over during the pre game ensuring
that everybody knows their responsibilities and what to watch for.