The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06079/673348.stm

A little bit of sour grapes from the Panthers. I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but from what it sounds like, they didn't adjust to how the game was being called.

Can anyone out there who saw the entire game shed some light on if Pitt has a legit gripe of how the game was called?
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I only saw the very end. My only comment is that my daughter called this the "Brad Pitt" game, thanks to the scoreboard in the corner of the TV picture.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I saw the game, not that they need my praise but I thought it was well officiated.

Here's another article:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_434919.html

On the T after the 5 second count:

========================
After the technical, Gray missed a layup that would have pulled Pitt to within 38-37 and missed a dunk that would have made it 47-41 with 10:40 left.

Bradley appeared to feed of the technical. More accurately, it fed off Pitt's frustration.

Coach Jim Les planned for it.

"We said, 'When you see a level of frustration, we're going to turn it up another notch with our pressure,' " Les said. "I think we took (the technical) as part of the cue that it's time."

Added O'Bryant: "We knew we could get into them and frustrate them a lot."
========================

Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I watched this game. FWIW, I will point out that the lead official called the 5-second violation. I was always taught that in NCAA men's mechanics, the lead never gives a visual five count, even when the ball is in his primary. In this case, the trail does the counting.

If in fact this IS the proper mechanic, then I suppose the coaching staff has a legit gripe. The T was a no-brainer though. The lead was stepping out selling the call, so he couldn't see the action behind him. Thornley was the C opposite the table and doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing...keeping an eye on the players during dead ball time.

Pittsburgh has been a dirty team for a number of years. They're just used to getting away with a lot of physical play in the Big East. Did anyone else see Carl Krauser blatantly give a Bradley player a forearm shove in the back after a made basket? Officials missed it, but there's no other way to describe the play than dirty.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Referee Scott Thornely made the call from half-court even though he did not see Gray slam the ball. The other two officials closer to Gray did not make the call.
This statement right there from Ray Fittipaldo's article should tell you all you need to know about this reporter's credibility.

I saw a lot of the game. I didn't see anything out of sorts with the officiating. The 'T' on Gray was an easy call.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I used to live in Pittsburgh and was a subscriber to the Post Gazette. Trust me, the sports writers there are not rocket scientists... then again, I've never really met any sports writer that was worth anything.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I was always taught that in NCAA men's mechanics, the lead never gives a visual five count, even when the ball is in his primary. In this case, the trail does the counting.
I thought that someone told me this a while ago but I haven't heard it since. Does anyone know if this is what the mechanic's manual says?

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Did anyone else see Carl Krauser blatantly give a Bradley player a forearm shove in the back after a made basket? Officials missed it, but there's no other way to describe the play than dirty.
I saw this and the only one that would probably see this is new trail. It's to bad that it was missed because this is usually going to result in retaliation later in the game.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't read anything on the article other then what was directly posted here in the thread. That being said, I did watch the game in it's entirety. The T was definitely a no brainer. I don't care where any of the three officials were, the Lead that called the 5 second violation was about even, or even a step past Gray when he sent the ball to the roof in the other direction. If I was the L, I would APPRECIATE the C covering my back like that.