The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is Your Whistle Clean? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25591-your-whistle-clean.html)

Time2Ref Sat Mar 18, 2006 02:05pm

Is Your Whistle Clean?

Do you clean your whistle? Can you boil it?

I was in a hurry after my last game. While changing, I accidentally put my dirty socks in the pouch that I keep my whistles. I don't really want to put it back in my mouth. Should I just buy a couple more, or is there a good way to clean them?

Snake~eyes Sat Mar 18, 2006 02:14pm

I don't clean them often.

No you can't boil them, they will crack.

Soak them in mouthwash.

mplagrow Sat Mar 18, 2006 02:14pm

Boiling them for about half a minute is fine, at least in my experience.

Corndog89 Sat Mar 18, 2006 02:39pm

After every game I wash mine with hot tap water and dish detergent and then put it in listermint.

The New Guy Sat Mar 18, 2006 02:45pm

Soaking it overnight in Listerine has worked for me. Gets rid of the germs and freshens your breath during the game.

If that doesn't work and you're really worried about them being mixed with your sweaty socks, the $3 for a new one is your best bet.

CA BBall Ref Sat Mar 18, 2006 06:30pm

Toss your whistles in a small cup and pour enough rubbing alchol over them to cover them. Swirl and let sit overnite. Take out the next morning, rinse with water, shake out, blow once and your ready to go, sanatized better than when you recieved it brand new in the package!

26 Year Gap Sat Mar 18, 2006 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
Toss your whistles in a small cup and pour enough rubbing alchol over them to cover them. Swirl and let sit overnite. Take out the next morning, rinse with water, shake out, blow once and your ready to go, sanatized better than when you recieved it brand new in the package!
Make sure everyone in the house is awake before you blow the whistles, though.

CA BBall Ref Sat Mar 18, 2006 08:43pm

Waiting untill everyone is awake takes all the fun out of it. Plus when you get to work your boss will never know if you just cleaned your whistle or if you stopped for a quick "Irish Coffee" on the way!

ChuckElias Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:04pm

Run 'em through the dishwasher.

tjones1 Sun Mar 19, 2006 02:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by The New Guy
Soaking it overnight in Listerine has worked for me. Gets rid of the germs and freshens your breath during the game.

If that doesn't work and you're really worried about them being mixed with your sweaty socks, the $3 for a new one is your best bet.

Damn, where are you buying Fox40's for 3 bucks... cause I wanna know. ;)

dave30 Sun Mar 19, 2006 05:27am

The dishwasher followed by a soak in mouthwash works great for me. I may add the rubbing alcohol too to get it super clean. I may never have to buy another whistle !

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Originally posted by The New Guy

Damn, where are you buying Fox40's for 3 bucks... cause I wanna know. ;)

At Officials Choice....plus $3 S&H. ;)

Dan_ref Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:53am

Quote:

Can't we just soak them in Absolut & rinse them out with vermouth?

:)

Corndog89 Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Well I now certainly have a new technique! The forum pays off yet again...

Bad Zebra Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Whistletini!!!Outstanding! Garnish with an olive and you've got a great tasting excuse for missing a call!