The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ten Seconds Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25582-ten-seconds-call.html)

bhopkins32 Fri Mar 17, 2006 09:32pm

When does the ten second count officially stop? Does the ball have to be controlled by a player in the frontcourt within ten seconds, or does it just have to be across the halfcourt line in that time? If the ball is in thrown across the midcourt line but is still in the air without being touched in the frontcourt when the ten seconds expires, is that a violation?

All_Heart Fri Mar 17, 2006 09:45pm

If the ball is still in the air when your ten second count ends it is a violation. It doesn't mean anything when the ball crosses the divison line in the air.

All_Heart Fri Mar 17, 2006 09:46pm

By the way, Welcome to the forum :)

mplagrow Fri Mar 17, 2006 09:47pm

But don't most of us exercise a little benevolence on that call, in reality?

bhopkins32 Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:01pm

Thanks. That's the way I thought it should be called as well. We're having a discussion on this in an Arkansas fan forum. This should clear it up.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:49am

The count does not end until the offensive team has established control in the frontcourt.

Example: The official is counting and is at 8. A1 passes the ball into the frontcourt. B1, standing in the frontcourt, jumps up and taps the ball back into the backcourt, where it is recovered by A1. The count continues through all of this, and, if the official gets to 10 before the ball can be recovered by A1 and advanced into the frontcourt, violation.

assignmentmaker Sat Mar 18, 2006 01:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
The count does not end until the offensive team has established control in the frontcourt.

Example: The official is counting and is at 8. A1 passes the ball into the frontcourt. B1, standing in the frontcourt, jumps up and taps the ball back into the backcourt, where it is recovered by A1. The count continues through all of this, and, if the official gets to 10 before the ball can be recovered by A1 and advanced into the frontcourt, violation.

The count ends when the ball attains frontcourt location. See 9.8 Situation B.

9-9: "A player shall not be, nor shall his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds."

[Edited by assignmentmaker on Mar 18th, 2006 at 01:34 PM]

Adam Sat Mar 18, 2006 02:31am

The ball doesn't need to be controlled in the front court. Touching any player or the floor in the FC is enough to terminate the count.

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 18, 2006 05:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by mplagrow
But don't most of us exercise a little benevolence on that call, in reality?
I do not. I've had this call once in my career. B1 is pressuring A1 right from the BC endline throw-in. B1 played excellent defense and A1 was about 8 feet from the DL when my count was at 8. A1 decides to pass the ball to A2, wide open in the corner in the FC! Good pass, except that is took a bit to get there. By the time A1 got some mustard behind the pass and the ball is in the air, I'm at 10. I hit 11 when A2 catches the ball.

I called the 10-second violation at the a 10.5 second mark.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 18, 2006 08:31am

Quote:

Not true. When B1 tapped the ball, the ball had FC status. The count stops. When the ball goes back to teh BC, the count begins anew -- A has another 10 seconds to advance the ball to the FC.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 18, 2006 09:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Not true. When B1 tapped the ball, the ball had FC status. The count stops. When the ball goes back to teh BC, the count begins anew -- A has another 10 seconds to advance the ball to the FC.

As per case book play 9.8SitD.......

jbduke Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bhopkins32
When does the ten second count officially stop? Does the ball have to be controlled by a player in the frontcourt within ten seconds, or does it just have to be across the halfcourt line in that time? If the ball is in thrown across the midcourt line but is still in the air without being touched in the frontcourt when the ten seconds expires, is that a violation?

bhop,

I saw the play you guys are talking about over there. Technically, it was a violation, but this play is rarely called a violation at that level.

BktBallRef Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:38pm

Quote:

Nope. When the ball touched B1, it attained FC status. New count.

Just in case you hadn't already been told! :D

thereluctantref Mon Mar 20, 2006 08:07am

A question folks...if a timeout is called halfway into the 10 second count does it continue when the ball is inbounded again? In other words, if the count gets to 5, and then a timeout is called, does it pick up again there after the timeout and inbounds touch?

All_Heart Mon Mar 20, 2006 08:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by thereluctantref
A question folks...if a timeout is called halfway into the 10 second count does it continue when the ball is inbounded again? In other words, if the count gets to 5, and then a timeout is called, does it pick up again there after the timeout and inbounds touch?
No, the 10 second count is reset.