The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Oz,

How did your presentation go? I can emphatize with you. I was asked several years ago to do something similiar as you. I play in a adult church league and the players referee the games.

I tried to summarize "reffing" in about 2 to 3 hours of presentation and then the "refs" got a chance to work some scrimmages.

I would venture to say I had it worse than you. I had some young kids/old folks so the audience was diverse. Reffing experience was basically nil. Rules knowledge (as the officials know it) was probably nil as well.

I put together a word doc summarizing some items like "blow the whistle", "hustle", "see through the cracks", etc.

Honestly, I was pretty prepared but I don't think most people grasped the information. The lack of experience was the biggest hinderance. Most of the players would never ref outside of the league and so what works for "us" won't work for others.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
one thing I like with europe is that we don't have any deserts, tundras or other strange stuff we don't use look at africa, deserts, uninhabited, Australia, how many people live in the middle of it, desert, shall I go on?
Crazy V, don't get me wrong. I wasn't criticizing Europe or Europeans by any means. I love Europe, and part of what I love is the accessability. I was just trying to relate that most Europeans I've known, when they visit the states are amazed at the size and sometimes vastness of North America. Not to speak for Oz, but I think that's what he was saying about Australia.

But on the other hand, deserts and other vast "uninhabited" places can be beautiful and very cool. I would love to see African, Australian, Asian, even Antartican vastness, and lot of those vast places can hold untold riches, so.....
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
Oz,

How did your presentation go?
G'day Coach,

Look the presentation went pretty well (I think). While none of the participants had any refereeing experience, they were all pretty experienced players, so had a sound grasp of the rules.

As well, Basketball Australia has put together a really good introductory package, with a video and power-point presentation that outlines the responsibilities of referees and some basic rules and mechanics stuff. Certainly made my job easier.

I suppose the real test will be next week when I get them on the court refereeing with me. I'll keep you all posted.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee