The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

A question if anyone can help me...

Player A dives for the ball and doesn't gain control of it until he rolls on his back. A defender comes and tries to get a held ball. Player A begins vigorously moving the ball away from the defender with his arms. His shoulders are off the ground but every other point is still contacting the ground and has not moved (legs, small of the back) The player doesn't lift the high part of his back and doesn't sit up, just lays there on his back but his shoulders are not contacting the ground.

Is this a traveling call?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

No and if he sat up it would still not be traveling.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Not from me.

Quote:
Originally posted by thereluctantref
Is this a traveling call?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help! A coach was screaming at me for a traveling call. And I'm reffing for 5th and 6th Graders! Is the player allowed to sit up or to rotate his body around a pivot point on the floor? (just for my future reference...)
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is the player allowed to sit up or to rotate his body around a pivot point on the floor? (just for my future reference...)
Yes the player is allowed to sit up.

No the player is not allowed to rotate his body. (Someone please confirm)
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I won't the player roll over but I will let them move side to side, or I guess a better way to say it is I will let them move within the realm of their natural movements when they keep swinging the ball from one side of their body to the other. You can't sway or lean a little bit to each side when you move the ball without some kind of movement with your body. I didn't explain that too well sorry, but I am not deleting after all the stuff I just wrote. Just check one in the post column for me.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks for the help! A coach was screaming at me for a traveling call. And I'm reffing for 5th and 6th Graders! Is the player allowed to sit up or to rotate his body around a pivot point on the floor? (just for my future reference...)
I can't find anything that prohibits either of these.
Secondly, in a 5th and 6th grade game, you shouldn't put up with the coach screaming, at all, let alone for a traveling call.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart

Maybe someone will reference the various threads we've had regarding the "pivot cheek".
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart

Maybe someone will reference the various threads we've had regarding the "pivot cheek".
Chuck, fire up your 100gig SQL server.

SELECT *
FROM posts
WHERE source = 'OfficialForum'
AND sport = 'Basketball'
AND body CONTAINS 'pivot cheek';
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Since this is a situation that happens alot during the course of calling games during a season, could someone please list what constitutes a walk when there is PC while NOT standing. Basically, when a player dives and gets a loose ball, what can he or she NOT do as far as movements go....
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

4-44-5b "After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand."

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

4.44.5 SITUATION D: A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling violation? RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or call a time-out from that position.

The above are straight from the Rules and Case book.
The official has to decide what constitutes rolling over. That is a gray area.
My opinion on this is that it means going from front to back or from back to front. Rocking from side to side is not a travel. Again that is only my opinion.

Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 06:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rocking from side to side is not a travel. Again that is only my opinion.

If you go from lying on your back or front to rolling onto either side to avoid a defensive player, that's a travel.

From an old, old POE.....
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rocking from side to side is not a travel. Again that is only my opinion.

If you go from lying on your back or front to rolling onto either side to avoid a defensive player, that's a travel.

From an old, old POE.....
Not aware of it. Never seen it. Appreciate hearing about it though, and would love to actually see it.

I've been reffing HS for 10 years now, so it has to be older than that.

Hey, why doesn't the NFHS publish ALL of their old POEs and Interps on their website? That would really be helpful.

I'd also be interested in a thread on here which contains as many of the old POEs/Interps as we could find and post.