The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Chaney

No comments yet on Chaney's retirement from Temple? Being the cynical guy that I am, I think this is just the deal that was cut last year after the "enforcer" incident. Ok, you can come back for one more year so that you don't go out on this note. But then, you'll find some "personal reasons" to retire on your own.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Mar 14th, 2006 at 08:56 AM]
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Yeah, something small & insignificant.

Something like....oooohhhh, I dunno, like being 74 YEARS OLD!

(I heard he was gonna go work for Haliburton but he was even too old for them.)
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck -- That certainly is possible, but I believe if that were the case, you would have seen a coaching-designate added to the staff last Fall. The way this has unfolded reminds me of the "power" that JoePa has at Penn St. The administration doesn't have the political power to fire/remove/force JoePa or Coach Cheney to retire.......Coach Cheney certainly may have wanted to retire last year, but did not want to leave after the incident.

Coach Cheney's contributions to the game of college basketball can be measured in a lot of ways that do not include wins or losses. He reminds me of Bob Knight - the same personality traits that cause him to achieve the coaching successes also cause him personal conflict.

Congrats on a great career Coach Cheney
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Yeah, something small & insignificant.

Something like....oooohhhh, I dunno, like being 74 YEARS OLD!

(I heard he was gonna go work for Haliburton but he was even too old for them.)
I thought I heard he shot someone in the face.

Too soon?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
ChAney. Not ChEney. Looks like a deal was cut. I remember the Howard Evans-Mike 'Threeswyck' teams as being very fun to watch. His players generally finished school and never got into trouble at 3 a.m. [Nothing good ever happens at 3 a.m.] I had forgotten about the hatchet man job last year, but I will not remember him for one incident as much as I will remember Chuck's US Senator for one incident.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
Coach Cheney's contributions to the game of college basketball can be measured in a lot of ways that do not include wins or losses.
Absolutely. Like great press conferences where he threatens to kill somebody. Great contribution. Or when he sends a player out to break an opponent's arm. Fantastic coaching job.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 08:30am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
ChAney. [Nothing good ever happens at 3 a.m.]
Speak for yourself!
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Coach Cheney's contributions to the game of college basketball can be measured in a lot of ways that do not include wins or losses.
Absolutely. Like great press conferences where he threatens to kill somebody. Great contribution. Or when he sends a player out to break an opponent's arm. Fantastic coaching job.
Agreed. I lost almost all respect for him after the first incident. Following the second, I wrote on this forum that the NCAA should have banned him for life.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 11:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Well, then Bobby Knight should have been gone long before Chaney...let's see: Rape comment in Puerto Rico; Chair throwing; Choking player; numerous a-hole press conferences.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Well, then Bobby Knight should have been gone long before Chaney...let's see: Rape comment in Puerto Rico; Chair throwing; Choking player; numerous a-hole press conferences.
You'll get no argument from me about that. The sooner he retires, the better off college basketball will be.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
You'll get no argument from me about that. The sooner he retires, the better off college basketball will be.
I completely agree. Unfortunately, there will always be a place for a winning coach, regardless of his behavior. Oh wait a minute, Texas Tech went had 15 W and 17 L this year.

Z