The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have seen the following occur on several occasions, and wanted to know how to call it.

A1 is dribbling the ball and is getting ready to pass, they are able to stop the dribble with one(palming the ball) or two hands, then realize that they don't want to make the pass after the ball has left their hands. Can they retrieve the ball? And if they touch the ball before the ball touches another player is this a travel?

Thanks for the help.

Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a double dribble to me. The pseudo pass would be a second dribble IMHO if it was deemed to be controlled(unless the "pass" went off the dribbler's own backboard).

If not controlled, then you could consider it a fumble and A1 could recover it.

[Edited by rpwall on Jun 21st, 2001 at 02:46 PM]
Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
I have seen the following occur on several occasions, and wanted to know how to call it.

A1 is dribbling the ball and is getting ready to pass, they are able to stop the dribble with one(palming the ball) or two hands, then realize that they don't want to make the pass after the ball has left their hands. Can they retrieve the ball? And if they touch the ball before the ball touches another player is this a travel?

Thanks for the help.

Once the dribble ends and the pass is thrown. The passer may not recover it. If he does, his pass is considered the start of his second dribble and the violation is therefore...double dribble.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
Quote:

Thanks for the help.

Once the dribble ends and the pass is thrown. The passer may not recover it. If he does, his pass is considered the start of his second dribble and the violation is therefore...double dribble.
Sorry rpwall...I responded without seeing your post. We both have the same interpretation anyway.

Jeff
Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
If the player were to touch the ball before it hit the floor, it would definitely be a travel. This is one of the few ways you can travel without holding the ball. If the ball were to hit the floor, you could possibly call it traveling by a double dribble may be a better call.

Interestingly enough, if the player had not previously dribbled, you wouldn't have anything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith