The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I was approached on the street by a parent yesterday, and she wanted to know if she could hold her daughter back in the 8th grade. I said sure you can as long as she doesnt turn a certain age by a certain date. I believe the age to be 19 and the date to be the beginning of the school year. So if you dont turn 19 until after the school year starts then you are leagal to play. I am from Virginia and have attempted to check the VHSL handbook but can't get it to pull up. Can anyone confirm or deny this please???
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
What does this have to do with basketball? I mean, why would a parent approach a basketball official and ask this question?
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
What does this have to do with basketball? I mean, why would a parent approach a basketball official and ask this question?
I guess she thought I would know since I do officiate basketball games. All I could tell her is what I thought the cut off dates were. We have some very knowledgable people here, many from VA, so I thought they may have or know where I can find the answer to this question. Sorry I did get your permission prior to posting, SA.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
I was approached on the street by a parent yesterday, and she wanted to know if she could hold her daughter back in the 8th grade. I said sure you can as long as she doesnt turn a certain age by a certain date. I believe the age to be 19 and the date to be the beginning of the school year. So if you dont turn 19 until after the school year starts then you are leagal to play. I am from Virginia and have attempted to check the VHSL handbook but can't get it to pull up. Can anyone confirm or deny this please???
Different states have different rules. In NC, if you turn 19 before October 12th, you can't participate in HS athletics for that year. I have no idea why the date is magical.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Different states have different rules. In NC, if you turn 19 before October 12th, you can't participate in HS athletics for that year. I have no idea why the date is magical.
Thanks bktballref. I actually just found what I was looking for. According to Virginia High School League Rules a player may not turn 19 prior to August 1 of that particular school year.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 03:30pm
We don't rent pigs

In some states, Louisiana is one, a student that "holds back" can lose some eligibility. I don't have the rule to quote chapter and verse, but I do know that it is quite common for kids around here to fail a subject intentionally to allow them to repeat the 7th or 8th grade without losing eligibility. A person might need to check this out in his own state before making a decision.

Lonesome Dove