The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Following occured in NJSIAA playoff game last night.

Player for home team checks into the game in the 4th quarter who is not in the book. Visiting coach appeals to official as game is in progress and official says she can't stop the game. Timer finally sounds the horner and instructs official of the error. Official informs scorer and coach that a technical foul can not be administered because the game has re-started.

Is this correct? Can you point me to the area of the rule book that states this?? Rule 10-1 does not address that the T can't be admistered due to the game re-starting.

Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Question did this player receive a technical earlier in the game? If not then this is incorrect per NFHS rules. The technical should have been administered when brought to the officials attention. There is nothing in the rule book about the game re-starting. Even if the player had played earlier in the game and it was just now being brought to the official's attention then a technical would still have to be called.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

NO

No technical issued to anyone for either team entire game.

Rule 10-1, correct?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: NO

Quote:
Originally posted by filinuk
No technical issued to anyone for either team entire game.

Rule 10-1, correct?
Not correct.

There should be an administrative technical called that counts toward the team fouls but is not counted against the player.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Question did this player receive a technical earlier in the game?
My fault I meant to say did the team receive a technical earlier in the game for this issue. If this happened earlier in the game with a different player not in the book then there would be no technical assessed for a different player not being in the book.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

No

There was never a T issued in this game.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me this season, with slightly different causes. Player checks into the game with the wrong jersey number. I buzz the horn and the refs discuss the outcome, Tech. The coach penalized doesn't like the descision and appeals to the refs saying she didn't fill out the book. It seems that this players number is different based on the jersey, 15 in white, 11 in blue. The refs said that when you designate your starters, the book is locked, and if a player is not in the book, she isn't able to play without a techincal foul penalty.