The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering if some experienced officials would give me their thoughts on pre-game introductions. For example, is it a good idea for me to introduce myself to each coach and let them know that I'm going to hustle and give them my best effort, etc? Or is it better to keep my distance?

It seems to me that a brief introduction would eliminate that adversarial barrier and help remind the coach that I'm a human being, just like him, doing the best job I can.

What about planting a seed by saying that I'm more than happy to discuss things with them when necessary, but I won't respond to yelling or screaming. Or is it better to wait and say "coach, I'll gladly talk to you about that but you'll have to stop yelling first" when it happens?

Is it proper to let them know I intend to keep the game under control right from the tip, or is that a given?

Thanks
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:20pm
In Memoriam

Just referee. Leave the other stuff to Oprah. We're a necessary evil- no more no less. Ask 'em if they have any questions....and then leave it at that.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I agree with JR. I introduce myself and say "good luck". During the HS playoffs, I remind them that we're all being watched by state observers, so we're paying a little extra attention to the coaching box. That's it.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Before the toss I introduce myself and wish them good luck but I do not say anything beyond that.

You don't need to show that you're in control before the game starts and you don't need to comment about yelling/screaming because the coach may not even be that type of coach.

Just handle the issue when it arises and he will know you're in control.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

That reminds me, I'm the R tonight, better get my speech prepared...naw, I will probably just say the normal, i.e., 'Coaches, are your players properly equipped, will they wear their uniforms properly and will they play the game in a sportsmanlike manner? Thanks, good luck, please check the book before I do to ensure that it is ready.'

I like the idea, though, of adding the part about special attention to the coaching box because of it being the playoffs.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by kblehman

It seems to me that a brief introduction would eliminate that adversarial barrier and help remind the coach that I'm a human being
Now that's funny...Not picking on you kblehman, but if you think pre-game niceties have any affect on a coach's demeanor during the game, you are very naive'.

Most coaches assume that you are going to hustle and give them your best effort. And most coaches have friends who are officials, so they more than realize we are human beings.

There is nothing a coach can say to me prior to a game that will change the way I officiate and there is nothing we can say to a coach before a game that's going to change how they coach.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Now that's funny...Not picking on you kblehman, but if you think pre-game niceties have any affect on a coach's demeanor during the game, you are very naive'.

There is nothing a coach can say to me prior to a game that will change the way I officiate and there is nothing we can say to a coach before a game that's going to change how they coach.
Well, I didn't mean to make it sound like I'd be giving them the Gettysberg Address, nor was I expecting to receive prayer beads in return, but your point is well taken.