The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Home team is leading by 25 late in the third quarter. A blocking foul is called on the Visitors right in front of the Visitor's bench, a call with which the visiting coach disagrees. When the official administering the throw-in goes to get the ball, the visiting coach has it and he refuses to give it to the official. Official assesses a techincal foul on the coach. Visiting players go and huddle with their coach during the ensuing free throws. As they break their huddle when it's time for the throw-in, the coach is heard, in a rather sharp tone, instructing his players, "Just go out there and foul out." The visitors begin fouling on every possession, and, 5 of them proceed to foul out.

How would you have handled this situation?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
As they break their huddle when it's time for the throw-in, the coach is heard, in a rather sharp tone, instructing his players, "Just go out there and foul out." The visitors begin fouling on every possession, and, 5 of them proceed to foul out.

How would you have handled this situation?
I would've given the coach his second T and very sternly told the players not to follow the coach's advice.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

i would have

obliged him and called a foul on his team if they so much as sneezed on an opponent -- if anything looked like it might be intentional, i would call it as such.

if he says a word to me regarding any call from there on in i would issue his walking papers -- why? because hes stated what he wants his team to do from here on in and then to give any bs for what he has instructed them to do is unnecessary.

i hate bad coaches -- more so i hate bad sports -- ive had to sit as a coach and swallow many a 20+ point loss and just accept that for what it is.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Dana Kirk former hc @ Memphis State once did this to an official I know and he forfeited the game to the other team. Talkin' about the shinola hittin' the fan.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

If the team went back on the court and started doing what the coach said, I would let it happen for a foul or two and then I would consider forfeiting the game under the NFHS rule that gives officials power to forfeit the game for acts that make a mockery of the sport. I cant stand coaches who, for one reason or another, do ignorant things like this. If he is blaming the officials for being down 25, he needs to find a new job.