The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Had the opportunity to watch Memphis v. UTEP last week. Steve Wellmer and crew working it. They did a great job. In the 2nd half, there was an exchange on UTEP's end that the UTEP coach thought should have been a foul. U2 explained why it was not. UTEP coach kept on the heat, but I think he finally sat down, however, as Memphis went the other way, U2 whacked either the coach or the bench, not sure which. At this point, UTEP coach started in again, but wanted to talk to Wellmer instead of U2 who made the call. Wellmer was on the opposite end administering the freethrows, and next timeout talked with the coach. The coach looked like he accepted what Wellmer said, but still was in the other 2 guy's ear for a few minutes afterward. My question is, as the R when you have this situation come up, what do you say to the coach? Is it an instance where you listen to what he has to say...or do you redirect him to the person making the call .. or what? I know every situation is different, but just wondering in general.

thanks.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

hmmm.....I don't Know. IMO, I don't think its a good idea to have that official explaining things to the coach, especially since he was the one who whacked the coach. So, I would say this was a smart move.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

The game was officiated by: Steve Welmer, Curtis Shaw, & Rick Randall. I very good crew to say the least...

Welmer's biggest strength is his ability to deal w/ coaches/players and diffuse frustration that is building up before it becomes a big problem. Welmer is a speaker/clinician at Dale Kelley's summer camps and talks quite a lot about how to manage games. His advice is generally consistent w/ others: coaches want to know they're being listened to; give them a chance to blow off steam; express understanding/concern for his complaint; console him a little bit ("you're still in the game" - "keep coachin' 'em up"); assure him that he'll get the same call/consistent game at the other end; etc.