The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Blue down by 20. about 2-3 minutes to go. Blue scores. Coach calls a TO. This happens a couple times, til he runs out of timeouts with about a minute and a half left. His team scores again, and he wants another timeout. Officials know the coach knows he's out of TOs, even tells him that he is, and refuse to grant him a TO, cause he's just trying to be an @$$ about things, as he has all year.

One thing that came up in the post game discussion was, if you grant him a TO, it's a team technical. Do you possibly, instead, just call an unsporting T on him for being an @$$ and run him from the gym? He had already been assessed an earlier T in the 3rd quarter.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Always use the rules to your advantage- and also to cover your butt.

Give the coach his extra TO and the accompanying "T". At that time, tell him that if he calls another one, you'll forfeit the game. You now have sound rules backing to do so under NFHS rule 5-4-1-- "The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach....repeatedly commits technical-foul infractions or other acts which make a travesty of the game.

Never get mad- just take care of bidness.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Great way of handling it JR. I couldn't agree more.

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic or someone else, what do you think about calling an unsporting T in this case? Could you justify doing it especially if it gets him ran from the gym?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WooPigSooie
Jurassic or someone else, what do you think about calling an unsporting T in this case? Could you justify doing it especially if it gets him ran from the gym?
I'm not sure I'd want to go there unless the whole gym can see that he deserves to get tossed. Otherwise you're tossing the coach for committing a legal act (i.e., calling an excess time out). That's gonna be tough to defend.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 04:22am
In Memoriam

What BITS said.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
How do you know he's being a jerk? How do you know he's not trying to work on the press-breaker? I don't think you can give an unsportsmanlike T for this. I also think you have to be very careful about threatening the forfeit. You better know that he's not using it to teach. If the coach is using the excess TO's for a legitimate purpose, I would just grant them and give the T. I had a game last year in which the coach asked for a TO, even after I reminded him that it was excessive. But it never crossed my mind to tell him the next one would be a forfeit. He really just wanted a TO.

I just think it's a fine line.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
How do you know he's being a jerk? How do you know he's not trying to work on the press-breaker? I don't think you can give an unsportsmanlike T for this. I also think you have to be very careful about threatening the forfeit. You better know that he's not using it to teach. If the coach is using the excess TO's for a legitimate purpose, I would just grant them and give the T. I had a game last year in which the coach asked for a TO, even after I reminded him that it was excessive. But it never crossed my mind to tell him the next one would be a forfeit. He really just wanted a TO.

I just think it's a fine line.
And how many illegal TO's would you let a coach call, Mr. NiceGuy? An infinite number plus one?

If you've got any spit built up in your whistle at all, you know when a coach is trying to jerk you around. Nip it, nip it in the bud.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
And how many illegal TO's would you let a coach call, Mr. NiceGuy?
If he's using them legitimately, is he making a travesty of the game? Obviously not an infinite number. Probably not even more than 2 or 3, b/c I can't imagine that a non-jerk would really ask for more than that. But in the case I mentioned where the coach really just wanted the TO, I probably wouldn't even have thought twice about giving him another one. Because he was using the TO to coach. Yes, there's a limit even for a non-jerk. But a non-jerk probably isn't going to reach the limit. So I don't know what it is.

Quote:
If you've got any spit built up in your whistle at all, you know when a coach is trying to jerk you around. Nip it, nip it in the bud.
Ok, Barney, but you better KNOW it. That's all I'm saying. There are times when the coach really just wants another TO.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:00 AM]