The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

quick question i've never been asked in a game till last week!
End of game situation
Team A scores, calls quick time out, after time out team B is getting ready to bring in ball, but coach asked can we move it to the other side of the basket because they had a left handed player....

i was standing on the right hand side of the basket with the ball and when they came out they asked me this question...kinda took me by surprise, but since it wasn't a spot throw in and since they can run the baseline anyways i said sure and took it to the other side...

my partners said i couldn't do it??? what should of happened?? crazy stuff never ceases to amaze me with this game!!!

The left handed kid threw a pass to half court, they hit another kid in the corner for the 3 at the buzzer to tie...went in and out for the loss!!! good game....
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

There's no rule against it and nothing wrong with it. Just administer the ball to the thrower, no matter where he is standing.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Off the top of my head:

Since there was no possession and no ball location at time of the time out and team had free reign of the baseline I would think this is a situation where the coach could decide where to start the play from.

On what basis did your partner feel your original spot for the throw-in was any more legitimate than the coach's desired spot?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There's no rule against it and nothing wrong with it. Just administer the ball to the thrower, no matter where he is standing.
What if you are L and standing across/under the glass from the player. Do you, as Lead, initiate a rotation prior to the Throw-in...or do you bounce the ball across the lanes extended to the player so your partners do not have to move? (I've seen the bounce across the lane done...but do not like it myself for NFHS)
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
quick question i've never been asked in a game till last week!
End of game situation
Team A scores, calls quick time out, after time out team B is getting ready to bring in ball, but coach asked can we move it to the other side of the basket because they had a left handed player....

i was standing on the right hand side of the basket with the ball and when they came out they asked me this question...kinda took me by surprise, but since it wasn't a spot throw in and since they can run the baseline anyways i said sure and took it to the other side...

my partners said i couldn't do it??? what should of happened?? crazy stuff never ceases to amaze me with this game!!!

The left handed kid threw a pass to half court, they hit another kid in the corner for the 3 at the buzzer to tie...went in and out for the loss!!! good game....
It wouldn't matter which side of the basket you administered the throw in from. Even if you were on the side other than the one they preferred don't forget after a made basket the player throwing the inbounds pass can run the baseline.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
What if you are L and standing across/under the glass from the player. Do you, as Lead, initiate a rotation prior to the Throw-in...or do you bounce the ball across the lanes extended to the player so your partners do not have to move? (I've seen the bounce across the lane done...but do not like it myself for NFHS)
In this case, base your position on where the offense wants the ball. I'm moving to "box" the players in.

I don't understand what the partner was thinking here. There's no right spot after a score, so there's no reason to make the player stand anywhere in particular, as long as he's behind the endline.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

i guess my partners thought, because i was standing at a particular spot, during the time out,that is where i should of brought it in...and when they came out i moved the ball to the other side because the coach asked me to, and i let him because there was no spot after the shot....i think my partners were just upset because i made them rotate before the ball came in... they got over it!
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

As for the question of whether to bounce the ball along the endline to the thrower, you may want to check with your state/association clinicians to see which mechanic to use (bounce or hand).

In Illinois, the Head Clinician has said there is no situation that you should ever bounce the ball along the endline. You should almost always bounce when administering along the sidelines. The reason you bounce vs. hand is to put yourself in the best position to see the throw-in action (in order words: gain an advantage). There is no advantage gained along the endline - the players cannot get behind you or any further from the opposite basket - so do not bounce. Simply walk over and administer accordingly.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
As for the question of whether to bounce the ball along the endline to the thrower, you may want to check with your state/association clinicians to see which mechanic to use (bounce or hand).

In Illinois, the Head Clinician has said there is no situation that you should ever bounce the ball along the endline. You should almost always bounce when administering along the sidelines. The reason you bounce vs. hand is to put yourself in the best position to see the throw-in action (in order words: gain an advantage). There is no advantage gained along the endline - the players cannot get behind you or any further from the opposite basket - so do not bounce. Simply walk over and administer accordingly.
I don't buy that argument. If the throwin spot is at the lane line extended, players can be out in the corner. The same advantage is gained by bouncing the ball along the endline as along the sideline. It gives you a better view of the whole play.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea

I don't buy that argument. If the throwin spot is at the lane line extended, players can be out in the corner. The same advantage is gained by bouncing the ball along the endline as along the sideline. It gives you a better view of the whole play.
I've heard the same directive, also being in IL.

His theory is, along the sideline, bouncing the ball gives you the opportunity to be back "behind" the players, so if the ball is stolen and going the other way, you are starting off even with the players, not way behind. It's also to eliminate the need for the C on the other side to cheat back to cover this possible turnover.

As far as the baseline, his theory is to never bounce the ball across the lane, even in the back court with no pressure. I'm not sure I agree with this part, because I'm used to the college mechanic where you are allowed to do this, to keep from forcing a rotation. On a throw-in in the front court along the baseline, I still think it's a good idea to hand the ball to the player. I think it gives you some "presence" next to the player. I do agree with you, however, that getting away from the play gives you a better overall view. But some gyms just don't give you that luxury either.

(Used with permission.)