The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Today I was doing a few games.

In one game, we had an injured player, as their was no immediate threat to the player or the other players because he was down under the basket on the far side of the court, and the ball was being advanced away from him, we let play continue.

A foul was called as the ball was at half-court, and then the coach was beckoned. The coach was not happy with our decision to allow play to continue and was assessed a technical by my partner.

Now the coach of the other team was also not happy, and was irate about it. I tried calming him down by explaining to him the procedure followed in a situation like that but he didn't seem to buy it. In his fury he went to the table and swatted the possession arrow to the ground. Whack!!! Flagerant technical foul. Coach is ejected, leaves without incident, and games continues with free throws, and an inbounds at half court.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Both coaches were fuming at the same play? I can't say I've ever seen that before.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

The one I tossed was the convenor for the league.

He was fuming in that capacity. But I guess he needs to learn when he's coaching he's coaching and when he's convening he's convening.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
The one I tossed was the convenor for the league.

He was fuming in that capacity. But I guess he needs to learn when he's coaching he's coaching and when he's convening he's convening.
I'm trying to picture this, so help me out. He's a coach and a convener. When he's acting like a coach, he's an idiot. When he's acting like a convener, he's an idiot. How do you tell which role he's acting in?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 02:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Well, at least that explains why he left without further incident. So he was upset that you didn't stop play for a minor injury without any danger of further injury? Sounds like a real piece of work.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 05:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

YES!!!!!

I love it! Way to take of business!

J, I need details! E-mail me. Funny sitch though.

I had a similar sitch. Player goes down, no threat. I'm L, new T after B's fast break. Two parents near the player are yelling, coming up off the bleachers, yelling at thetop of their lungs, pointing and me.

As soon as time warrants, I blow the play dead, beckon the caoches, and then point to the two wing-nuts and then point to the door. The look on their faces was priceless.

The convenor has to go over there and the one guy wouldn't leave. He caused only a 30-second delay.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Do you T?

I had a similar sitch in an 8th grade game. Girl goes down in backcourt, but I'm L and I don't see it. I'm just ahead of midcourt (there's a press on) and see both coach and assistant coach come off the bench THREE FEET ONTO THE FLOOR yelling at my partner. I was ready to blow and walk over and say, "That's a T for YOU and a T for YOU!" But my partner blew it dead (wrongly, the other team was driving by this point). I let him handle the situation. Girl left in an ambulance with a concussion half an hour later. Assistant keeps glaring at my partner and giving him crap for the no call. At this point, I don't think any T's would have helped anything at all. I shut the assistant up with some friendly advice, and we ended up with a 2 hour overtime game.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 09:08am

Re: Do you T?

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
I had a similar sitch in an 8th grade game.
You got lucky.

Technical foul. I don't think you should ignore two coaches coming onto the floor yelling at you and/or yor P.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Do you T?

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
I had a similar sitch in an 8th grade game.
You got lucky.

Technical foul. I don't think you should ignore two coaches coming onto the floor yelling at you and/or yor P.
I might add that an assistant 8th grade (or any level of assistnat) coach doesn't need to complain. He or she needed one as well.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Do you T?

Quote:
I had a similar sitch in an 8th grade game. Girl goes down in backcourt, but I'm L and I don't see it. I'm just ahead of midcourt (there's a press on) and see both coach and assistant coach come off the bench THREE FEET ONTO THE FLOOR yelling at my partner. I was ready to blow and walk over and say, "That's a T for YOU and a T for YOU!" But my partner blew it dead (wrongly, the other team was driving by this point). I let him handle the situation. Girl left in an ambulance with a concussion half an hour later. Assistant keeps glaring at my partner and giving him crap for the no call. At this point, I don't think any T's would have helped anything at all. I shut the assistant up with some friendly advice, and we ended up with a 2 hour overtime game.
While we talk about letting the play continue after a player goes down you can & should stop play immediately when the injury seems severe or there's danger of further injury. An 8th grade girl on the floor who later gets taken away by ambulance for a concussion seems to be a good enough reason to stop play immediately. Especially since play was going in in her general area (you mentioned her team was being pressed in the BC). You guys did good by not T'ing either of these coaches up.

btw...how did it take a half hr for an ambulance to arrive?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:31pm

Re: Re: Do you T?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
While we talk about letting the play continue after a player goes down you can & should stop play immediately when the injury seems severe or there's danger of further injury. An 8th grade girl on the floor who later gets taken away by ambulance for a concussion seems to be a good enough reason to stop play immediately. Especially since play was going in in her general area (you mentioned her team was being pressed in the BC). You guys did good by not T'ing either of these coaches up.

btw...how did it take a half hr for an ambulance to arrive?
The extent of the injury is not known at the time of deciding to blow it dead or not. You can't say that you should have blown it dead immediately because she ended up with a concussion. (She may have had a sore thumb.) You can say that it should have been blown dead because there was a press on. However, I do believe that giving A a chance to beat the press is prudent. One pass and it's beat. If they show a sign of hesitation, then blow it dead.

While safety is the utmost of importance, the official judged that play should continue.

As for the ambulance, the OP did not say it took 30 min for the ambulance to arrive; it said the ambulance left after 30 min had elapsed.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: Re: Re: Do you T?

Quote:

The extent of the injury is not known at the time of deciding to blow it dead or not. You can't say that you should have blown it dead immediately because she ended up with a concussion.
While the extent of the injury might not be known, in order to end up with a concussion something pretty serious must have happened...if an 8th grade girl goes down and her head slams into the floor and she lays there - stop the game for crying out loud. Err on the side of caution at that level...
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you T?

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

The extent of the injury is not known at the time of deciding to blow it dead or not. You can't say that you should have blown it dead immediately because she ended up with a concussion.
While the extent of the injury might not be known, in order to end up with a concussion something pretty serious must have happened...if an 8th grade girl goes down and her head slams into the floor and she lays there - stop the game for crying out loud. Err on the side of caution at that level...
Yep, my point exactly.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you T?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Yep, my point exactly.
Ok, that's like 5 or 6 threads in a row where we have agreed...getting kinda scary. Pretty soon you're going to find yourself staying up late to catch the Mariners game from Seattle on satellite!
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what they were yelling but if they were yelling at your partner about a no call then I would have whacked both of them, that's just me. Just because my partner stops the play for injury doesn't mean they get a free pass. Being on the floor and yelling at an official is automatic IMO.