The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

What are your feelings about this internet article? http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5334430

Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

He's a writer. Writers know nothing, and are paid to reveal that fact on a daily basis. Why don't we just remove officials from the game, and have refs in the booth only? They could make all their calls from watching the video.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I'm all for getting things right, but I have to say I think replay is ruining sports. It slows the games down to a crawl sometimes and I think it just makes coaches and fans question officials more. I was impressed when baseball tried the computerized "eye" to call strikes and the good hitters and pitchers hated it becuase it took the human element out. The human element is part of sports and you will never fully remove it no matter how hard you tried. By the way, I'm a huge Adam Corolla fan but his talk show that this guy writes for sucks. Must be the writing.

Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
What are your feelings about this internet article? http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5334430

blah, blah, blah, blah......

Z
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

What a dumb ***. He really doesn't have a clue about what officiating is.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Maybe I'll write an article giving my 10-point plan to make journalism better...

1. Know what the hell you're talking about. At least a little...
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

The Human Element of Sports.

I think this should be extended to incomplete passes, fumbles, missed lay ups, errors, etc. Let's do the play over till the athletes get it right.

A team may miss 15 free throws, commit 20 turnovers, but it's a borderline call by an official that cost them the game when they lose by 1 or 2. So let them reshoot the free throw till it goes in.

If this was available, Bill Buckner would now be a hero in Boston.

Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
oh I'd LOVE to see him on the floor in black and white

Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

The tag line about the author at the end of the story tells all:

Kevin Hench is the head writer for the Too Late with Adam Carolla show on Comedy Central.

Enough said.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

I love how this guy rips Steve Javie and other top officials for trying to be, "the show" and having "short fuses." Put this guy in a men's rec league, with nothing at stake and have him attempt to call a game and see how short a fuse he has with nothing on the line.

I've done some broadcasting and some writing so I can safely say that both of those jobs are much easier than officiating AND that there's much more ego involved in either of those two professions than there is in officiating. It's funny that the guy speaks about officials needing to keep their egos in check when he's a guy who's never officiated at any level, telling the top officials in the world how to do their jobs. Now that, my friends, as George Carlin would say, is being stunningly and embarrassingly full of s***.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Maybe I'll write an article giving my 10-point plan to make journalism better...

Suggesting that this clown is a journalist is like lumping a Costco dog into the same category as a five-star gourmet meal. I wish I could make that kind of money penning what sounds like the disillusioned ramblings of an angry drunk at the corner bar.

But perhaps I am allowing my personal feelings for this egomaniacal windbag to cloud my judgement. Perhaps, his error is not in suggesting that the camera could save the game from the officials, perhaps it is in not going far enough.

We should eliminate the officials completely. After all, with dozens of cameras trained on every play, we could simply allow the assembled press corp to serve as a collective arbiter, reviewing each play immediately upon completion and rendering a simple majority verdict. To eliminate statistical outliers, we'll throw out the votes of the most and least drunk sportswriters. You already know these bargain basement journalist wanna-bes would go for it. They would finally get what they've always lacked: a chance to matter to the game. Plus, the home team would certainly curry their favor by providing free booze, women and gifts for favorable reviews.

While we're at it, let's poll the fans as part of the process, maybe give them a 33% slice of the total vote. After each play we'll replay it in slow-mo three times on the jumbotron, and see what the masses have to say. Each fan's vote will additionally be weighted according to how much his or her seat cost. Just think, the celebrities on the front row will finally have the influence they believe they deserve.

But why stop there? Include the television audience and give them 33% too. We'll show several angles of slow-mo, and then they can vote via a 1-900 number. Be sure to ask your parents before you call. It'll bring in enough extra cash for the league to double the salary cap. The irony is that soon, we won't even need the players to play the game. The collective judiciary can simply elect the winner. We'll still run the game clock, but the scoreboard will show only the current tally for each team. Speed voting will become a sport in its own right!

At the end of each season Mr. Hench can reprise his excrement excellent piece with another rant about how the fans are ruining the game.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 05:33am
M.A.S.H.

He's a writer...enough said!
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

I'm still boiling over this article. If this guy had a pair between his legs, he would include his email address, like many writers do, at the end of his article.

Yeah, I will agree that occasionally there are officials out there that have a desire to be the center of attention, but for the other 99.9999 percent of us, that is our worst nightmare.

To add onto this question, does anybody know how much officials make per game or annually in the following:

NBA
NFL
MLB
Mens College BB
Mens College FB

I have always wondered what they approximately made for their work.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard, but I do not know how reliable this is..

NBA: Starting 200k a year, up to 500k.
NFL: Starting 5k a game.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Suggesting that this clown is a journalist is like lumping a Costco dog into the same category as a five-star gourmet meal. I wish I could make that kind of money penning what sounds like the disillusioned ramblings of an angry drunk at the corner bar.

But perhaps I am allowing my personal feelings for this egomaniacal windbag to cloud my judgement. Perhaps, his error is not in suggesting that the camera could save the game from the officials, perhaps it is in not going far enough.

We should eliminate the officials completely. After all, with dozens of cameras trained on every play, we could simply allow the assembled press corp to serve as a collective arbiter, reviewing each play immediately upon completion and rendering a simple majority verdict. To eliminate statistical outliers, we'll throw out the votes of the most and least drunk sportswriters. You already know these bargain basement journalist wanna-bes would go for it. They would finally get what they've always lacked: a chance to matter to the game. Plus, the home team would certainly curry their favor by providing free booze, women and gifts for favorable reviews.

While we're at it, let's poll the fans as part of the process, maybe give them a 33% slice of the total vote. After each play we'll replay it in slow-mo three times on the jumbotron, and see what the masses have to say. Each fan's vote will additionally be weighted according to how much his or her seat cost. Just think, the celebrities on the front row will finally have the influence they believe they deserve.

But why stop there? Include the television audience and give them 33% too. We'll show several angles of slow-mo, and then they can vote via a 1-900 number. Be sure to ask your parents before you call. It'll bring in enough extra cash for the league to double the salary cap. The irony is that soon, we won't even need the players to play the game. The collective judiciary can simply elect the winner. We'll still run the game clock, but the scoreboard will show only the current tally for each team. Speed voting will become a sport in its own right!

At the end of each season Mr. Hench can reprise his excrement excellent piece with another rant about how the fans are ruining the game.
Post of the Week!! Good job, Ray.