The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Since I was in high school and played on varsity 1990's there have been some rule changes. Could someone please list all of the free throw violations and other rules.

For instance something that I have no idea if I was correct or not, but here...

Team A is shooting the ball. Team B is lined up in the lane, but one of team B is leaning over a little bit (not stepping into the lane). Team A shoots and the offical calls a violation. He explains to me that team B violated because they broke the plan of the free throw lane, he also admitted that the player did not touch inside (floor) the lane nor did he interfer with the shot or the opposing player next to him. Is this true?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BrentD22
Since I was in high school and played on varsity 1990's there have been some rule changes. Could someone please list all of the free throw violations and other rules.

For instance something that I have no idea if I was correct or not, but here...

Team A is shooting the ball. Team B is lined up in the lane, but one of team B is leaning over a little bit (not stepping into the lane). Team A shoots and the offical calls a violation. He explains to me that team B violated because they broke the plan of the free throw lane, he also admitted that the player did not touch inside (floor) the lane nor did he interfer with the shot or the opposing player next to him. Is this true?
Why are you doubting the word of the ref?

Also, are you a coach, fan, or official?

Also, to see all the current rules, and have them available to you at all times for reference, write the NFHS at

NFHS Customer Service
PO Box 361246
Incianapolis, IN 46236-5324

You'll want both a rules book and a cases book. Each is $6.75 and you'll need to add $6.95 shipping.

If I were you, I'd wait a couple of months to do this, until the new rule changes come out.

And by the way, the ruling in your sitch depends on which body part had broken the plane. I know it's not commonly called, but technically if the foot is through the plane, even without touching the floor, it's a violation. Other body parts may legally break the plane.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

League Commish

I'am a league commish and have had issues with this ref before.

I question his call because he has a bad reputation as a poor ref in the ref'ing circles. He causes a lot of issues for making "odd" calls that no one (not even the other ref) can explain.

He called a player for merely leaning over (holding his shorts because he was tired). His foot, arm, body, or other never touched the floor. His feet where planted on the floor.

I understand that refs are trained and what not, but like all humans they make mistakes.

I ask because I'am called in to explain as coaches ask "what was that call". I can 99% of the time explain the rule and what was called. I would say that with this particular ref I can only explain what happened about 50% of the time.

I will order the new case book and rule book when the updated version comes out!
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: League Commish

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentD22
I'am a league commish and have had issues with this ref before.

I question his call because he has a bad reputation as a poor ref in the ref'ing circles. He causes a lot of issues for making "odd" calls that no one (not even the other ref) can explain.

He called a player for merely leaning over (holding his shorts because he was tired). His foot, arm, body, or other never touched the floor. His feet where planted on the floor.

I understand that refs are trained and what not, but like all humans they make mistakes.

I ask because I'am called in to explain as coaches ask "what was that call". I can 99% of the time explain the rule and what was called. I would say that with this particular ref I can only explain what happened about 50% of the time.

I will order the new case book and rule book when the updated version comes out!
I see your situation more fully now, and I understand your concerns better. Thanks for explaining.

I think, as others have suggested, you've got to go to the ref assignor and have them talk to this ref. I work in one non-school league where there's a guy that is really idiosyncratic about what he calls and doesn't call. They work with him constantly (work?? more like argue!!), and he still doesn't back down on certain things. Usually, I expect that person will just have to be fired or injured to get the situation under control. It's a tough spot to be in.