The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

How do you handle this..In a game I had a few weeks ago I felt like my partner sold me out to the coach. Do I know this for a fact, NO! But you know sometimes how you have that feeling like someone is talking about you, I had that feeling..I asked my partner when he came back over I asked what did he want. " he said nothing" just asking about the play under the basket..Then is when I felt he sold me out..
How would you handle this???
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 09:21pm
In Memoriam

There's nothing really to handle. Either you believe your partner.... or you don't. You'll never know for sure whether he was selling you out or not. Jmo but I think that you've got 2 choices- (1) forget about it, or (2) tell your assignor, if you have one, that you're not comfortable working with that official anymore. If he asks why, just tell him.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

What I do in similar situations is this. When your Partner arrives to get changed for the next game, make sure you are in the Locker Room before him. Most guys visit the urinal before changing. Take this opportunity to open his Gym Bag and remove 1 black Referee Shoe. Pop up a ceiling tile and throw the Shoe up there. Zip the bag back up. Sit down and pretend to be reading the Rule Book when he returns.

Fake deep sympathy when in a few moments he exclaims,
"Darn! I forgot one of my $%%**^#% shoes!"

Depending on the level of betrayal you suspected, convince your Partner that nobody will notice if he wears one black Referee Shoe and one white Nike LeBronster. Offer to make cosmetic changes to the LeBronster with the Black Permanent Marker you conveniently always carry.

Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There's nothing really to handle. Either you believe your partner.... or you don't. You'll never know for sure whether he was selling you out or not. Jmo but I think that you've got 2 choices- (1) forget about it, or (2) tell your assignor, if you have one, that you're not comfortable working with that official anymore. If he asks why, just tell him.
This is the beauty of the software program our association uses for assigning, http://www.thearbiter.net . As an official, you can go in and block partners, schools, sites, etc. on your own. Of course, you could also block yourself out of a lot of games, but generally, unless you are blocked via the computer out of a game where you're really needed, the system will plug someone else in there and you'll be working elsewhere.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
What I do in similar situations is this. When your Partner arrives to get changed for the next game, make sure you are in the Locker Room before him. Most guys visit the urinal before changing. Take this opportunity to open his Gym Bag and remove 1 black Referee Shoe. Pop up a ceiling tile and throw the Shoe up there. Zip the bag back up. Sit down and pretend to be reading the Rule Book when he returns.

Fake deep sympathy when in a few moments he exclaims,
"Darn! I forgot one of my $%%**^#% shoes!"

Depending on the level of betrayal you suspected, convince your Partner that nobody will notice if he wears one black Referee Shoe and one white Nike LeBronster. Offer to make cosmetic changes to the LeBronster with the Black Permanent Marker you conveniently always carry.

That is $%%**^#% beautiful. How did you know we all dress in places with false ceilings? Hell, I'll do this to some guy who DIDN'T sell me out. And I can't wait to see the look on his face when I get up there and give the shoe back to him after the game.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

It also works pretty well when you're the Sixth Man and you need to knock one of the starters out of the game to get some minutes....