The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday I had a situation where A1 who had front court status lost control of the ball very close to the mid court line, regained possesion while on her back and then when her head went backwards her pony tail touched the back court.I called a b/c violation. Agree?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:15am
In Memoriam

There's a play almost the same posted on the NFHS web site. The only difference is that the one on the web site refers to an OOB call vs. a backcourt violation iirc. The hair is part of the player- ergo it's a backcourt violation.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I presume this wasn't Donkey Basketball? I don't think Donkey Basketball uses NFHS. Anybody know what rule set Donkey Basketball uses?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:59pm
MABO Member

You gotta be kidding, Right? Get any Flack over that call?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
You gotta be kidding, Right?
No kidding. Here's the interp, which was posted in October, directly from the FED website:

Quote:
SITUATION 9: A1 recovers a loose ball on the playing court near the sideline, with his/her body entirely in bounds. However, A1’s head is hovering out of bounds and his/her hair (which is in a long ponytail) is touching the floor, out of bounds. RULING: A1 is called for the out-of-bounds violation. (7-1-1; 7-1-2; 9-3-1)
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!! I NEVER would have called this before today. But now I'll go looking for it.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations on making the correct call. I know I sure would not have had the *alls to make this call. I guess it makes sense though. Football has a rule along the same line. Using hair to tackle is legal, which is why I am counting the days until Troy Poloamalu gets dragged to the ground with the mop coming out of the back of his helmet.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 03:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When I was a kid, I was called for 3 seconds because my shoelace was in the key.

Looking back, I should have been called for a Gross Foul for having mucous hanging from my nose.

A ponytail in the backcourt. If I was a coach, that call would make my hair stand up.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
A ponytail in the backcourt. If I was a coach, that call would make my hair stand up.
That's why I wanna make it. Are you bald?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WooPigSooie
Congratulations on making the correct call. I know I sure would not have had the *alls to make this call. I guess it makes sense though. Football has a rule along the same line. Using hair to tackle is legal, which is why I am counting the days until Troy Poloamalu gets dragged to the ground with the mop coming out of the back of his helmet.
WooPig

What's the deal with TP's "mop"? Sounds like long hair may be an issue with you. Its very common for Polynesians to have long hair and wear it while playing ball. I don't see a problem as long as safety isn't compromised.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

No problem with hair. No problem with Polamalu. Phenomenal athlete. If he wants to wear his hair a certain way because of a particular ethnic background or belief, more power to him. We live in America. I despise the Steelers. Thats all. No disrespect toward his ethnic background.

He'll think its a safety issue the first time he gets dragged down by his hair while returning a pick.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No problem with hair. No problem with Polamalu. Phenomenal athlete. If he wants to wear his hair a certain way because of a particular ethnic background or belief, more power to him. We live in America. I despise the Steelers. Thats all. No disrespect toward his ethnic background.

He'll think its a safety issue the first time he gets dragged down by his hair while returning a pick.
Copy all. If he signed with your favorite team would you change your mind about his hair? Just curious.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

By definition I completely agree that this is a violation whether OOB or in the BC, but I agree with JugglingRef...I'd probably pass on this play. If a kid is playing so hard that he/she is on the ground fighting for possession, then I might reward that player for the hussle. I understand that terrific D may have made it necessary to lead to the scramble, but we're picking hairs here!
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

No. AS I SAID IN THE PREVIOUS POST, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE HAVING LONG HAIR. Would I like to see him be forced to confine the hair to the helmet? Yes, regardless of whether or not he played for my team or those blasted Steelers. I do think that it could not only become a safety issue, but it gives an opposing team's players more options in tackling him, etc. Thats my opinion on the situation. I apologize if you dont like my opinion. Enough said. Back to basketball talk.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. AS I SAID IN THE PREVIOUS POST, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE HAVING LONG HAIR. Would I like to see him be forced to confine the hair to the helmet? Yes, regardless of whether or not he played for my team or those blasted Steelers. I do think that it could not only become a safety issue, but it gives an opposing team's players more options in tackling him, etc. Thats my opinion on the situation. I apologize if you dont like my opinion. Enough said. Back to basketball talk.
WooPig

Calm down. I'm not judging you or your opinions, I was just curious if hair, the Steelers, or safety was the issues. If I offended you I apologize...I certainly didn't mean to. I was only trying to understand...not a big deal.